• Is the idea of the martingale not only so the dog doesn't slip our but also that it chokes up only when necessary and so doesn't put undue strain on their neck and throat? I've been thinking about getting one for EL D. Yeah yeah I know about making him heel which he does quite well – but afternoon walks are for him to check his pee-mail and sometimes he can get excited and wants to move quicker than I can. I sometimes get worried that he'll damage his voice box/throat/orsomething -- I've read that can happen though I think that was in relation to dogs really pulling on the leash.

• @wizard:

Is the idea of the martingale not only so the dog doesn't slip our but also that it chokes up only when necessary and so doesn't put undue strain on their neck and throat? I've been thinking about getting one for EL D. Yeah yeah I know about making him heel which he does quite well – but afternoon walks are for him to check his pee-mail and sometimes he can get excited and wants to move quicker than I can. I sometimes get worried that he'll damage his voice box/throat/orsomething -- I've read that can happen though I think that was in relation to dogs really pulling on the leash.

yes, I guess so….but a regular collar shouldn't put any pressure on the throat unless a dog is pulling too.

I also don't require my dog to heel on a walk. As you said, it is their time to be a dog, sniff stuff, etc. But if they start to pull enough to put pressure on their throat, I stop walking...like, boom, stopped. They have all learned when that happens to come back to mom (make the leash loose). It takes some time to get the message...and it really helps when you start from puppyhood, so they don't get into the bad habit of pulling. Once it is a habit, and they have had success pulling, it takes WAAAYYY longer to undo.

For dedicated pullers, I use either a Sensible Harness, or Gentle Leader. I am prefering the Sensible Harness of late, because the dogs seem to adjust to it much faster, and it is less bothersome for them AND it seems to get just about the same result as the Gentle Leader.

• @Quercus:

I also don't require my dog to heel on a walk. As you said, it is their time to be a dog, sniff stuff, etc. But if they start to pull enough to put pressure on their throat, I stop walking…like, boom, stopped. They have all learned when that happens to come back to mom (make the leash loose).

That is exactly what I do with Ruby. If she really pulls, I stop. She always turns and looks at me and then comes trotting back :D. It is not very frequently that she even gets to the stage of pulling hard though. I, too, do not require her to walk at a heel for the same reasons…

• I have tried the immediate stop part and that does seem to work. If he gets too rambunctious (especially if there had been another dog along the road) I'll stop and then also put him on heel for awhile.

• I was looking at the Sensible Harness. We have had issues with Athena being able to back out of harnesses. She wanders out of sight and shucks the harness!

Is the Sensible Harness less escapable?

• @lissthor:

I was looking at the Sensible Harness. We have had issues with Athena being able to back out of harnesses. She wanders out of sight and shucks the harness!

Is the Sensible Harness less escapable?

With the gentle leader harness and head collar, I hook the leash onto both the harness/collar and their martingale collars–this way I'm sure they are secure--the head collar works best for me, and hooking it to the martingale doesn't seem to diminish the effectiveness.

• Oh that is good idea. I was thinking of getting one of those dual leads for two dogs and using one clip on her martingale and on the harness.

She is a sneaky little wench!

Suggested Topics