Skip to content

Adjusting the B's to a new home? Tips?

Behavioral Issues
  • Hello! Well, the movers are coming tomorrow to take all my stuff away, and then we are hopping in the car on sunday to drive to NY! Just wondering if there are any tips to getting Tayda and Lenny acclimated to their new home? I imagine they will probably whine for a while when left alone in the new place. And they will have to meet the landlords dogs, with whom we will be sharing the fenced yard. I really hope Lenny doesn't try to kill them. That really wouldn't be a good first impression!

    Any tips?

Suggested Topics

  • Female aggression with new B coming into home

    Behavioral Issues
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    P
    Give them some time to adjust. It may take weeks for things to settle. I introduced a rescued male to my female and she was quite standoffish. They were both the same age. When you train or play with them do so equally with both and do not favor one over the other during these sessions. If your female has a favorite spot do not let the male supplant her. However, make sure you allow both equal access to you. In other words I had to move to the middle of the couch and later on it didn't matter anymore. In my case and after a while (about two months) they adjusted to the new makeup of the household. And sure they still had their snits from time to time but I always growl louder than they can to remind both who is the top dog in the pack. As you know they have unique personalities and hopefully with love and patience and you being the leader they will learn all is ok.
  • Why do Basenji's fight with each other?

    Behavioral Issues
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    15k Views
    N
    @tanza: There is a play date in the East Bay…. and they have lots of Basenjis... you just have to get past the initial meet/greet..... lots of noise... and just get used to it.... Hi Tanza, can you please advise where/when these plays take place in the East Bay? I've just moved in SF with my boy Basenji and we are looking for a company for our walks. Thanks in advance. Maria.
  • B's on vacation in a camper?

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    krunzerK
    We camp a lot with the dogs. We have two x-pens set up outside of the camper for the dogs with two camp chairs in there…..you know that they can't lay on the ground right?..... If we can't put up x-pens for some reason then we have two cables for them that are made of wire with the red nylon coating on them. Those work as well but the easily become tangled if they are too close to each other.
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    9k Views
    BarklessdogB
    Agreed. Sometimes I think the grosser it is they more they enjoy seeing our faces when they do it.
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    S
    Very good advice, please let us know if it works.
  • This B needs an attitude adjustment!

    Behavioral Issues
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    15k Views
    BarklessdogB
    The other kind of guarding - for things that he gets by accident - that still continues, but less and less, although I don't trust him fully. He has been trained to go in his crate very willingly because he always gets a treat when he does. If he has something I don't want him to have I tell him to "get in your crate!" which almost always works the first time. He gets his treat, I close the crate, and then I clean up the mess without any worry. For our dog, if it's something like a cookie or pizza, nothing will stop him from devoring it.