• @sharronhurlbut:

Andrea, we need your comments…
    Please wade in.

Thanks Sharron 🙂 I can't keep a level head when the topic of the dog whisperer comes up, so I just have decided to stay out of it. I will be happy to offer up positive, reward based solutions whenever I can though 🙂

• I apologize for nearly inciting a riot over the dog whisper thing - I just starting watching the show a month ago, and he seemed to do some pretty incredible things. But after reading many of the comments posted on the forum, I can see that there are better ways. My main point though, is that many times there is behavior that needs to be modified on both sides, and in a situation like this, if it were me, I would certainly bring in a behaviorist.

• So I'm joining this conversation really late (I really should check the forum more often!!!)… here's my two cents.
    I understand completely about not being able to afford a trainer for Jack. However, if you would like I can put you in contact with someone who I am pretty sure does payment plans. His name is Peter and I use to work with him at the aquarium. You may have actually seen him at the park with his giant polar bear looking dogs! He use to be a sea lion trainer and really knows his stuff when it comes to training animals (I mean, when you initially deal with 700 lb. creatures you kinda have to!;) ). He now owns his own dog training business.
    I am sorry this situation has occurred for you! Jack really is a wonderful B and it sounds as though he is having a rough transition.
    I understand completely having to live with a "problem" dog and struggling over wether or not to give them up. I have to say though that I am really glad we toughed it out. Sophie (who you may know) has a history of biting people at what seemed random times (as well as not being socialized, has leash aggression, etc.). We have been really patient with her and have worked hard to get her to where she is but the finished product is astounding! Tears actually well up in my eyes when I think that I almost let her go because she seemed too much for us to handle. Patience and knowledge seems to be the key words. Do try to find out as much as you can about kids and dogs living together.
    Again, if you would like Peter's number then I am happy to get it for you. Also, if I can help at all please let me know. Sophie and Stick would love to take him to the park with us for a big B romp.:D
    Kiss the baby and pet Jack for me!
    Audrey

• Audrey–that's so nice of you to offer to Jack to the park--I bet Jack's family could use a little break from time to time. I think there's a separate thread where they've decided to keep Jack and did find a trainer who is helping them.

• Again, if you would like Peter's number then I am happy to get it for you. Also, if I can help at all please let me know. Sophie and Stick would love to take him to the park with us for a big B romp.:D
    Kiss the baby and pet Jack for me!
    Audrey

Id LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet up at the dog park thats EXACTLY what Jack needs. You tell me the night before what time your going to be there and Im THERE!!! (depending on the weather because i have the baby, lol) But i KNOW Jack would LOVE to go to the park!! Let me know

Oh and the trainer we have been meeting with is doing well…Jack has been around some visiters recently and did GREAT we had NO problems!! But its still early so, im hoping for the best!!:p

Suggested Topics