• @Basenji_Boy:

We have one that will grumble sometimes if you touch her when she's eating, but not all the time, depends on who it is and what she's eating. Funny part is, at times her tail is wagging the whole time she's growling. She's never lashed out or bit anyone over food, just gives a warning when she doesn't want touched or messed with. Sometimes she can do the same when someone messes with her when she's sleeping.

yeah…I love that message...it's like 'I dont want to bite you...but I will if I must'...all said with a sweet smile, and wagging tail....

can you tell I have seen that too? 😉

• @Quercus:

yeah…I love that message...it's like 'I dont want to bite you...but I will if I must'...all said with a sweet smile, and wagging tail....

can you tell I have seen that too? 😉

Yep, I'll admit when I see teeth showing along with the grumbles, I pay attention.:eek:

Cleo doesn't do it all the time, I swear it's just when she's in a bad mood. I've noticed mood differences on several of them. If it's been raining for a couple of days, damp and dreary…............have you been there???:D

• Wagging tails can mean different things depending on HOW it's wagging. It's easier to tell how they wag with a non basenji tail. If you look at how it's held you can see a difference also. A high tail with a stiff wag is a 'look out' indication. A full sweep is a friendly tail. There are many different variations on this.

• have you been there???

i've noticed our male gets mean during spring & fall (other dogs in heat?)

• @Barklessdog:

Is your male in tact?

• Here is an update on the little growler. Since the post I have tried a few different things and the best thing that seems to work is getting down and dirty 🙂 (figure of speech)
    I have been mixing the food with my hands and hand feeding him. It has been working and after doing that for a few minutes I give him the bowl and sit next to him telling him that he is a good boy. So far so good. He is definitely trying to show that he is becoming a teenager but what he doesn't realize..I am more stubborn than him and wont give in 🙂 He is now sleeping on the floor. No more sleeping with us. I now make sure I am first to walk out any door and he must follow. These little things are helping. Thanks everyone for offering suggestions!!!

• @Barklessdog:

My intact males never got mean during breeding season… if anything they got totally "stupid"....:eek:

• Is your male in tact?

No, we had him neutered early as he can't be bred (has slight eye strans) and I guess I should term him being more grumpy then mean. The times we have any aggression issues it's usually in the spring or fall. We do walk him quite a bit.

The older he gets the more mellow he has become and incidents are becoming much further apart.

My sister in law is staying with us for the week, so I had to go over all the stuff she can't do that could set him off, like staring him in the eyes, grabbing his tail, startling him while he's asleep and so on. So she's kind of scared of him (she is a dog owner as well - owns minature bischon).

So she goes up stairs to take a read & take a nap. She wakes up with finds the dog next to her sound asleep. Next he goes & cuddles into her body laying himself on her, with his head right near her face, then starts to snore really loud!

She was terrified!

The dog behaved great and woke up & left. He really likes her and wants to be petted constantly by her. He follows her around now. Both dogs really like her.

I guess the point is I had to go over the basenji ground rules as I dont want any incidents. You just never know how they are going to get along with someone. Some people they really like and others not so much.

• @Vanessa626:

Here is an update on the little growler. Since the post I have tried a few different things and the best thing that seems to work is getting down and dirty 🙂 (figure of speech)
    I have been mixing the food with my hands and hand feeding him. It has been working and after doing that for a few minutes I give him the bowl and sit next to him telling him that he is a good boy. So far so good. He is definitely trying to show that he is becoming a teenager but what he doesn't realize..I am more stubborn than him and wont give in 🙂 He is now sleeping on the floor. No more sleeping with us. I now make sure I am first to walk out any door and he must follow. These little things are helping. Thanks everyone for offering suggestions!!!

That is great…. and glad that Chance is getting the message... It has always amazed me how quickly they get these ideas into their heads...

Suggested Topics