Escalating Aggressive Behaviour

• It is not a common thing in Basenjis like some breeds, but it can happen…

• Achilles now sits and stays until I let him into his kennel to eat. Even when I fill his water bowl he sits beside me and he stays till I tell him okay. He is getting better with the rest of the family in doing this also.

• Hi Pastal,
    I think you're a very alert person, it sounds like you will be very good working with Achilles until he goes to his new home. Keep up the good work having him work to earn his dinner, this is a very important lesson for a 4 month old boy who's trying to figure out his place in this home.

I find dogs who are a little tightly wound calm substantially when they understand their place, and when they understand what to do to get what they want. For example, he sits and stays to get his dinner. You can have him earn other things: from now on he has to sit before going out the door, sit before coming out of the crate, sit before playing with a toy. And you will praise praise praise him every time he does that, which will reinforce that you are leader of the pack and he doesn't have to try to be.

Another great thing you can do is in addition to using the house line for safety, you can start to teach him "come" and reward with cookies … make him start to think that you are the source of all things good and he'll hopefully pay less and less attention to the other dogs at all.

Any other lessons / tricks will give him a positive outlet for his energy.

• You know, I thought of something else, flower essences. Last year when I was having some fights between my girls, two well bred, well trained basenjis, a consultant started making me a special blend that I put in their water or directly on their tongues. It might have nothing to do with it, but I think it's working. I went without it for about three weeks and Lucy started getting edgy again.
    You can probably find Bach's Rescue Remedy in a health food store near you tomorrow until you can get more first-hand, professional help.

• He is basically a pretty well behaved dog, except for his outbursts. I stemmed one just a few minutes ago. He just came in from a walk, Rosie was on the couch with me, and he came right up to her. I heard the low growl from Achilles and I picked up the water bottle, and banged it on the table. He stopped and walked away. Although, if he is doing anything he shouldn't be doing, no usually works well enough. I used to spray him with the water bottle, and after a couple of times I just had to pick it up and he would stop what he was doing. Sometimes I just have to touch it and he stops.

• @ciarasmom:

You know, I thought of something else, flower essences. Last year when I was having some fights between my girls, two well bred, well trained basenjis, a consultant started making me a special blend that I put in their water or directly on their tongues. It might have nothing to do with it, but I think it's working. I went without it for about three weeks and Lucy started getting edgy again.
    You can probably find Bach's Rescue Remedy in a health food store near you tomorrow until you can get more first-hand, professional help.

Thanks I will look for that, if not tomorrow, then the next.

• @pastal:

I heard the low growl from Achilles and I picked up the water bottle, and banged it on the table. He stopped and walked away.

I'm glad to hear that it's working. Whew! Now that you are having some success, I'd suggest you (or anyone in this situation) could go one step further: when he stops but before he walks away have him perform an easy behavior, like sit, then praise him. Better yet, when he comes in from the walk make eye contact with him before he approaches another dog, and whoo-hoo, praise for ignoring the other dog and looking at you.

I guess I'm just a praising nut, but I like to find opportunities to praise all the time. (my cell phone even rings a happy song!)

• Tonight when my husband needed to take the other two dogs out for their evening pee, he had to take down the gate and get Honey from upstairs (Honey is afraid of the gate and even though she could, she won't jump over it). I called Achilles to the couch and the whole time he sat there, somewhat unhappily, I might add, I petted him telling him what a good boy he was. We all praise him alot. He really can be a very lovable little guy.

• Sounds like you're doing a really good job all things considered. Your experience with the dogs sounds like you're spot on with little Achilles. Dogs are dogs..and Basenjis are extra special dogs 😃 as you can see!

In my experience these dogs NEED & WANT rules & direction. They're happy when someone else calls the shots. My little girls tends to get a little crazy with my male dog so I know what you're going through & while I can't "fix" her mood swings I do try to manage as best we can. When she gets "that look" I'll get her attention or throw a treat at her & she quickly goes into "ooh gotta find the treat" mood…sometimes I'll just pick her up & put her in my lap with her back towards the dog & lots of good praises for being good.

I'm afraid that your daughter & her fiance may not keep up with all the work that you've been doing with Achilles & that could be disasterous for him. He's only 4 months & they really need A LOT of structure at this young age (kinda like kids 🙂 right?) to be well behaved adult dogs. I really hope she follows your lead & what you've been doing. LOTS of pups need to be on a house line for a few months so that they learn the rules & learn how to behave.

Good luck & hang in there...I promise you for all the work you put into this little guy you will get back 100 times over in love & respect.

Suggested Topics