Skip to content

Dog dental chew sticks recommendations

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Dog Origins Revisited

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    curlytailsC
    The original article is here, for those interested: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0028496 I'm no scientist, so much of it was lost on me. I do admit being inherently skeptical of attempts to represent THE origin of dogs… I can't figure out how these studies account for how human relationships with dogs have developed over tens of thousands of years, and I'm far more interested in the way that culture and history have shaped the way we think of dogs -- or even what even counts as "domestication!" A lot of the Asian spitzes historically straddled and crossed that line, for example, roaming free as packs of wild dogs. Anyway, I also find it interesting that they chose a number of island-based village dogs to sample (i.e., the Taiwanese tugou, which is also close to my heart). @Mr B, I chuckle at your comment about "phasing over to the Basenji." I frequently think of doing just that so I don't have to deal with all these giant furballs all around my home!! But I think I will always be partial to the Asian spitz breeds. I love the look of your Jindo, and your Shiba is adorable too.
  • Trouble Dog

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    18k Views
    Buddys PalB
    @Moth: Have you ever tried an obedience class? It might be a great place to start. It sounds like your dog is space guarding. http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/ was just going through some old threads, and came across this one-Moth, I like your style and advice-esp this link!
  • Basenji dental

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    37
    0 Votes
    37 Posts
    25k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @tanza: LOL …. so hmm... great weather = higher Vet costs... makes perfect sense to me!!! LOL great weather equals more want to live there. More want to live there, drives real estate costs up. Increased real estate costs drives other expenses up. LOL, it does make some sense. But then, wth is up with NYC which has icky weather? Oh wait, massive overcrowding, never mind.
  • Dental issues

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    14k Views
    nodakerdebN
    Periodontal disease is a tough one to get on top of once it takes hold (in both humans and dogs) because the bacteria gets down in the pockets and it is very difficult to keep clean. People have better luck because they have the ability to floss daily, but that is very difficult with a dog – and believe me, I've tried. :D Periodontal disease is not the same as an auto-immune disease that dogs can get (lest I be accused of getting them confused). I believe the reason our furry companions, and especially the dry-mouth (non-slobbering types) often get it is because of a couple things in addition to not being able to floss. 1. They don't slobber so their mouths really don't get a good natural rinse, and 2. they are fed an unnatural diet. In the wild they would be crunching up bones which acts like a natural toothbrush/floss, and they wouldn't be eating cereal grains which are carbs on steroids turning to sugar once it hits the saliva. There are kibbles out there that do not contain grains which may help by keeping the sugars at bay in the mouth. Evo is one, Instinct is another. Feeding raw is a great alternative. I am also a big fan of the PetzLife product and think it works wonders to keep plaque at bay on the teeth, but not sure how well it works with the plague and bacteria already under the gumline. My rat terrier does not have periodontal disease. I feed him Evo and brush his teeth daily (with a three-sided toothbrush) with Petzlife and he has the teeth of a two year old which isn't bad considering he's almost 11. If his gut could handle it I'd feed him raw, but that has not bode well with him unfortunately. FWIW, in a past life I worked as a chairside assistant for a dentist so I do know a bit about teeth and periodontal disease. I came away from that experience realizing that if I were on a deserted island I'd rather have an endless supply of dental floss vs. a toothbrush. I would be more likely to keep my teeth with the first rather that the latter. Now if we could just figure out how to floss a dog's teeth. :)
  • Yawning and tongue sticking!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    L
    I haven't noticed Zaire having her tounge stuck. I do, however notice that when Zaire licks me (even right after drinking water) her tounge seems drier than Charlie's.
  • Dentals….

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    nala121498N
    That is great news!