• Hello Everyone! I'm Sue any my long time boyfriend is Chris and we are happy to have a (potential) Basenji mix as part of our family.

After our husky passed away, my old man ****er Spaniel, Spock (12) got very lethargic and just slept all day. The house was far too quiet and depressing. I spent weeks researching dogs calling up on a few of them and at the time I'm pretty sure I knew every dog's name and face in a 100+ mile radius of me!

Finally we started to go visit some dogs but none of them stood out to us as a good match. So we decided to go down to Phoenix (we live in Flagstaff) I compiled a big long list with break downs of personality description, pictures, contact information and even a map with the best plan of attack for all of our stops I had the whole day planned! Sadie a 2 year old, 15lbs, White/Cream colored Basenji mix was our first stop. After waiting over a half hour for her to arrive and meeting a purebred basenji, she finally arrived and boy could you tell! she was all scruffed up barking at other dogs and people. But as soon as she came up to us the scruff went down and she hopped up on her hind legs to greet us with kisses galore!

Now I'm aware these are generally pretty horrible behaviors, but something about it just didn't seem so bad. She won Chris over immediately? I was a little hesitant only because I was afraid to jump on the first dog we saw! But Chris convinced me, and man am I glad!

Sadie has livened up the house hold and our old man. He's never been one to pay much attention to other dogs (criteria was if Spock doesn't mind, it's a good match. He just really doesn't care) Much less play with other dogs! and Sadie will have him running around, barking play bowing, even playing tug of war! he has literally never behaved this way his entire life! We are VERY happy to have her! (since May 23, 2012)

I keep trying to figure out what she actually is, if she is in fact a Basenji mix.

As far as body and face structure she does seem to reflect a Basenji. She has huge jaw muscles. Her color is obviously off and she is built a little more dainty, with longer length fur(think chihuahua, and the fact that she barks. She destroyed a bone our husky had for years in 1.5 days!

I'm also trying to figure out if some of her behaviors are basenji based or whatever else she is-based

She is a down right goofy girl with TONS of energy. A little bit of a contortionist too. Although she is tough willed and hard headed, she is also very sensitive. You raise a voice or get upset with her (like when she chews my filp flops even though she has at least 3 bones on the floor next to them…), the ears get tucked down head drops and she comes and sits right next to you to ask for forgiveness or sits across the room, tall but compact with her curl wagging ever so slightly as if to say, "I'm sitting pretty, you can't be mad". She is insanely paw-centric and has no hard time being on her hind legs. She also is an incredible jumper. She can cleanly jump up onto our bed which is at least 3 feet off the ground with no struggle and hardly make a sound, we usually can't tell that she has hopped on the bed un-invited! She is also the quickest dog I have seen; little rocket dog, is what I call her. She loves to lick everyone. She is ok with cats as long as they don't give chase... I'm pretty sure she thinks it's a game. She's never growled at us since the first encounter or ever bitten us. She is a complete chicken when it comes to sounds and shadows. and she is definitely a morning dog to Chris' dismay!

Being a rescue, we imagine she was terrorized by children because she does her best to stay clear of them (unless there is a constant stream of treats being fed to her lol gotta get her to trust them some how!) She is unsure about men and always barks at new ones, but especially ones with darker complexions. She warms up quickest to women.

As far as training her, she learns somethings very quickly. She is learning very well to go sit on the rug away from the door when we need to greet someone. She goes into her crate with no problems! She even knows to sit for her food now and wait in one spot while I go fill up the bowls. she's also starting to understand catch.

Although she does it on her own, sitting up on her hind quarters, she does not manage to grasp that sit pretty is the trick I'm asking her to do... even with treats! I'm pretty sure she is just being stubborn.

Either way she is a fantastic dog! Please let me know what you think!

She really doesn't sit still long enough for me to get a good side shot of her. But her at alert stance is that very straight front with the leaned out back that I often see Basenjis take.

oh yeah and most importantly! although she doesn't have a wrinkled fore head it does have a few small wrinkles when her ears are at full alert!

Let me know what you think! and i'll work on better pictures!

• Welcome - and Sadie certainly is cute! I'd say it is possible she has some basenji in her. As far as training her tricks, you may want to look into clicker training. Lots of info on the net about clicker training. Many times when we think they are "just being stubborn" they really don't understand. Dogs don't generalize well, and basenjis, it can be hard to believe, especially with the intense basenji expression, that they don't understand exactly what we are saying.

• I'll definitely look into the clicker. I almost think she will be afraid of the sound though. We'll see, they are usually pretty cheap right?

I'm just hoping someone can tell me if some of her behaviors are Basenji like or if she's just a goofy lovable licky monster

• @suztor:

I'll definitely look into the clicker. I almost think she will be afraid of the sound though. We'll see, they are usually pretty cheap right?

I'm just hoping someone can tell me if some of her behaviors are Basenji like or if she's just a goofy lovable licky monster

Trust me, once she figures out the sound signals food, she will be very happy to hear it! Yes, clickers are inexpensive. IMO, they are the best way to teach new behaviours, and generally once you start, you will find your dog will enjoy solving the puzzle of what will gain her a reward. Do have a look at the articles so you understand proper use of the clicker and how to begin with it. A couple of good links:

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

http://www.video.clickertraining.com/free-01

Happy training! (BTW, your girl looks like a real sweetheart!) 🙂

• I went out and got a clicker and she actually is responding really well to it. shes already picked up treats follow the click… my old man on the other hand hasn't put 2+2 together lol. any other suggestions? this is going to be great!

• @suztor:

any other suggestions? this is going to be great!

What you can do with a clicker is only limited by your imagination, but I would work on basics first. Then just see what your dog offers, what you can reward, what tricks you can teach. Happy clicking! 🙂

• Without more pictures it's difficult to say whether she has Basenji in her (does it matter?). Her head doesn't look like a Basenji. She's very pretty and you are welcome on the forum. Lets see what others think.

• It looks like she has a furry curled tail. She may be a Spitz mix!

Jennifer

• It is furry but no more than your average chihuahua. That's the general length of her fur. Basing this off of the 'Bleu' Chihuahua my sister has (looks like a tiny little husky in coloration)

**Question: is there a Health or well being reason to use wide collars on hound dogs?

• Welcome to you and your dogs 🙂

• awww she is so sweet….

I got tears in my eyes.. my last ratfriend was called Sadie and she had the exact same colours and expression on her face as your georgeeous Sadie has.. wow 🙂

Welcome at the forum!

• Thanks so much for the feedback, I'm playing with a new camera lens and will be posting new pictures as soon as I can!

• Hello Everyone! I'm Sue any my long time boyfriend is Chris and we are happy to have a (potential) Basenji mix as part of our family.

• @suztor:

Thanks so much for the feedback, I'm playing with a new camera lens and will be posting new pictures as soon as I can!

funny that you mention rat. I've been doing research because she really doesn't fully fit the basenji profile but it turns out I'm pretty convinced she's a Rat Terrier mix but has very strong and big jaws that don't match…. I found an image of a rat basenji mix who's face looks very similar to hers.... So at the moment that's where I'm putting my money... Thoughts?

and it doesn't really so much matter what she is as far as how much I'll love her (i've got that part down solid), but it's more so I can find the best way to train her

Suggested Topics