• Hello,

We are currently in the process of looking to adopt a basenji. We have done all the research on the breed and learned about their traits and querks. We have come to the decision that a basenji is the right dog for us. However I suffer from allergies and want to make sure that I don't have an allergic reaction to our new family member.

I have done alot of research and have read many artictles which say that basenji's are hypoallergetic. This is great, however no dog is truly allergy free. We have gone as far as visiting a breeder to meet their dogs and had a minor reaction. However I do not know if this was due to the fury little guy or the cigarette smoke in the residence (which I am also allergic to).

Long story short, we are looking for a Saskatchewan Basenji owner that would be willing to let us meet their basenji to determine if allergies will be an issue.

Please respond if you are a basenji owner in Saskatchewan or near by.

Thanks!

• NUMBER 1 - Basenjis are NOT hypoallergetic, period!… Basenjis have dander and they shed... so therefore they can not be hypoallergetic.

One thing that you can try is to take a old t-shirt or hand towel with you when you visit with Basenjis.... make sure that the Basenjis lay/rub/play with the item. Take it home with you.... and sleep with that item... pretty good way to see what kind of reaction you might get. And if you do get on from this item... chances are you will have problems with the dog itself

• Yup - Tanza is correct. I have allergies to two of mine and don't have allergies to the other two - and 3 of my 4 are related. Oh and they definitely shed! Pat's recommendation of taking a t-shirt or towel with you and then sleeping with it is a great idea.

Suggested Topics