Skip to content

FDA Article on Pet Food Labels

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Kidney disease… food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    26k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Thank you all.
  • Rice in Dog Food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    BarklessdogB
    I heard in the news that arsenic can be linked to certain types of cancer. Still if there are high concentrations of arsenic in rice, it does not makes sense to feed it to your dog everyday. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/arsenic-and-rice-yes-again/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
  • Dry dog food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    9k Views
    Chealsie508C
    Oakley was on the Iams intestinal sensitivity formula because I tried taste of the wild ( of all kinds) and he was still having stool issues, combined with a puppy bout of giardia…he did well on it but I didn't feel good about the ingredients. From there I tried nature variety and he wasn't a fan. He has been sensative stool wise with many of the high quality foods so now we use Fromms and he is terrific. He loves all the varieties ( I mix two kinds at a time..one of their grain free versions with a grain version in order to get a reduced grain diet; stool issues if none or too much!) His weight is steady and his coat has never looked shinier, smoother of softer. Lastly, he loves the taste and I don't have to coax him to eat. I agree with not free feeding OR feeding from the same bowl. Since yours have issues (whether it's weight or sensitivity) knowing when they ate and controlling how much will allow you to better navigate around the health issues and possibly identify the cause of some as well!
  • Pet Insurance

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    7k Views
    BARTB
    Just putting it out there…check with your car or homeowners company. They may offer it but not really advertise and you might get a break on price if you are already a client. I've seen commercials for Progressive auto that says that they automatically insure your pet as part of the auto policy. Don't know any details, just a commercial I've seen.
  • Retching food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    nala121498N
    The poor baby! ((Hugs)) to you both. I will keep Cairo in my thoughts and prayers that an alternative treatment or solution can be found.
  • Who has pet insurance?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    jys1011J
    We use PetCare Insurance & considering how many times I've been to the Vet this year with one dog alone :eek: I think it's SO worth it :) I also think that if (heavens forbid) your dog ever got into a serious injury that required surgery or long term care that would be insanely expensive. And most people would opt not to go through with it at the risk of losing their beloved dog. Like most insurance policies you're paying a premium for the potential possibilities that you'll need it one day…life insurance (I've been paying forever & every year I neve cash in LOL :D), medical insurance, homeowners insurance...etc.