Fanconi re-testing (Linkage test, now Direct Gene Test)

• I think you are right. Retest it is. In your experience did you have to get new blood drawn or do they usually have enough to test from the original sample? I remember sending in quite a large vial of Kiora's blood and it was a very unhappy experience for her to get all that blood drawn from her neck.

• @Bettawhippet:

I think you are right. Retest it is. In your experience did you have to get new blood drawn or do they usually have enough to test from the original sample? I remember sending in quite a large vial of Kiora's blood and it was a very unhappy experience for her to get all that blood drawn from her neck.

Well the good news is if they don't have enough, it is just a cheek swab now, no more blood needs to be drawn, they send the kit, you swab their cheek, put back in the package and send it off. They just started with the re-test (as of November 1, 2011) so I don't know what percentage might have to do a new check swab. If they don't have enough, they will automatically send you a kit for the cheek swab.

Here is the link for the re-test https://secure.offa.org/cart.html Scroll down till you see Fanconi Re-Test

• I am sorry you weren't given better information before. It was a great test, but many lab errors reported making it by no means fool-proof. Under no circumstances would I have quit strip testing my gal who is clear by the Fanconi MARKER test. I am having her retested this month.

• @DebraDownSouth:

I am sorry you weren't given better information before. It was a great test, but many lab errors reported making it by no means fool-proof. Under no circumstances would I have quit strip testing my gal who is clear by the Fanconi MARKER test. I am having her retested this month.

It was not only possible lab errors, but the fact that it was only a linkage test so once there was (now is) a direct test we are going to find linkage tests that the results are going to be different. We have already seen a few that people have posted about on different lists. Even with the direct test, like all tests (dog and human) there can be lab errors.

• That is a huge relief about the cheek swab…She absolutely HATED having her blood drawn and has been mistrustful of the vet and vet techs ever since. I didn't not realize that there were many errors in the original test.

I stopped frequenting this forum shortly after I had her test done and haven't really heard anything from the basenji world until I got the e-mail. I will definitely get this re-test done as soon as possible and will pick up some strips tomorrow so I can start testing her urine. Thankfully she has not been showing any signs of poor health and has always done well on checkups.

Suggested Topics