Preparing a Basenji for the Show ring

• @renaultf1:

No need to wait to the age of 1 to CERF. Responsible breeders routinely CERF eyes of pups before they go to their new homes. I also agree with Pat, you want to do it after you show since they put drops in the eyes to dilate them.

I also think it is required they they be microchipped before they can CERF - seem to remember that last year when I went on my own (usually go with my kids breeders) to a CERF clinic. Wasn't a problem because all of mine are chipped, but I think some folks had issues because their dogs were not chipped. I know I had to have the AKC reg info as well.

I'll pay more attention when I go to the eye clinic again in at the end of September.

Thank you! I didnt know that. I thought i read or heard somewhere that it was best to wait til 1 for accurate results. but thanks, now that i know i can do this, i will do that from now on.

I have sophie microchipped already and Sanda said Mia is too. So i think we are ok there. Thanks for the info! Ill remember to do that too, have all the info. but yes, i have the microchip info as well. Does anyone know what kind of microchips you are supposed to use? I bought ISO but i believe it might be wrong for the USA people. Someone told me it was ISO for the rest of the world but USA uses something else.

But thank you, i appreciate the input and help!

• @Terry:

Whitney, I think most of your questions have been addressed except a few.

1. At an unbenched show, you don't have a designated area, you just arrive at your ring about 10 or 15 minutes before your scheduled time, get your armband from the steward and wait for them to call your class. You will want to stake out a place to wait and put your crates, grooming box, son (if he's along), while you wait for your time. Are you showing both dogs? That could be a problem for you if they both win their classes and have to go in together for Winners. You will need a backup handler available if that happens. They don't have to be experienced or 'properly' dressed even.

2. Yes, someone can take pictures or video you while you're in the ring (obviously you can't do that yourself while you're showing, LOL!)

3. We are always ridiculously overprepared, but you should bring: extra show lead and collar in case of breakage or Basenji munching through lead, bait, naturally, that you can break into small bits that won't get your pockets all yucky, water for the dogs and for you, baggies so you can pick up their poop, paper towels in case of crate accidents…maybe some baby wipes to wipe them down if they need it. Of course, you could bring cool coats for the dogs if it's hot or warm coats if it's cold, extra chair, a book in case you win Breed and have to hang out all day waiting for Group, ex-pens for the same reason (Optimism Rules!), snacks for you so you don't have to eat expensive dog show food, extra cash so you can visit the vendors for all those things you realize you just HAVE to have once you see them, etc, etc, etc

Good luck, and have a great time!!

Terry

Terry, let me first start off with a sincere Thank you! I appreciate the extra input on the questions that got missed.

what is the difference between an unbenched show and a um …benched show?? ...thanks for the info, very interesting to learn and im glad you put it in simple terms. I am not showing both, I will probably be showing Mia and my friend will be showing Sophie for me. That way i dont have to worry about that if it does happen. I am smart to think ahead. 😉 haha

Yay for pictures! lol yes, i figured i cant do that but i was hoping my family would do it for me.

THANK YOU!! I was very eager to figure out what to bring. Its always better to be over prepared than under! 🙂 That was great to read, i feel even more prepared!!!!!!! 😃 😃 😃 ..i think it says X pens are not allowed at this show..for some reason. but ill bring everything else. Thanks so much for the help! I truely appreciate it all. Thanks everyone!!

• At a benched show, like Westminster, the dogs are assigned a 'bench' area where they must remain during the entire show hours except when being pottied, shown or groomed. At an unbenched show, they only need to arrive before their ring time and they may leave after they're judged.
    Usually when they say no ex pens they mean at ringside or sometimes in the grooming area. But if you have a space away from the rings you can set up your own ex pen. I was just thinking that if you have a relatively early ring time and Groups are late in the day, it can get tedious for you and the dogs to have to be on lead or in their crates all day. Is it an indoor or outdoor show? Indoor shows are usually fussier about space because they have to cram everything into the buildings. Everything here is indoor - unless they put them under a permanent pole barn type set up, in which case you show on dirt - or mud, because all of them leak when it rains - if it ever rains again in Texas! Glad I don't show Poodles, not fun to waste hours of grooming to have them gait around in the dirt and ruin it as soon as you get in the ring. Basenjis just look pained and tiptoe through it.

Terry

• Just thought, you could always get one of those "helmet cams" You'd look pretty silly, but you could video your dog yourself in the ring! LOL!!

Terry

• One problem that I have ran into with my basenji is that she always seems to have fluid running down from hear tear ducts leaving her with a sad look.:( She also was rubbing her eyes a lot with her paws and seem to be blinking constantly. This happened especially during the spring time. I know that these dogs alerady have eye problems and I also wanted to prevent any long term damage this could be causing. I bought a couple of portable air filters from iaq source. and put them into the areas where I keep her. These seem to help a lot and give my dog a much better look. I would think healthy looking eyes would give you an advantage in a show. As a bonus they also seem to help out with my allergies as well. I hope this helps!🆒

• @dedrums:

One problem that I have ran into with my basenji is that she always seems to have fluid running down from hear tear ducts leaving her with a sad look.:( She also was rubbing her eyes a lot with her paws and seem to be blinking constantly. This happened especially during the spring time. I know that these dogs alerady have eye problems and I also wanted to prevent any long term damage this could be causing. I bought a couple of portable air filters from iaq source. and put them into the areas where I keep her. These seem to help a lot and give my dog a much better look. I would think healthy looking eyes would give you an advantage in a show. As a bonus they also seem to help out with my allergies as well. I hope this helps!🆒

Has she been checked by a Ophth Vet for her eyes? This is not an eye problem common to this breed (watery/runny eyes).

• @Terry:

Just thought, you could always get one of those "helmet cams" You'd look pretty silly, but you could video your dog yourself in the ring! LOL!!

Terry

L M F A O ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Oh gosh, you are soooo funny! I could do that i suppose 😉 LOL

• @Terry:

At a benched show, like Westminster, the dogs are assigned a 'bench' area where they must remain during the entire show hours except when being pottied, shown or groomed. At an unbenched show, they only need to arrive before their ring time and they may leave after they're judged.

Thank you, i never knew about this.

@Terry:

Usually when they say no ex pens they mean at ringside or sometimes in the grooming area. But if you have a space away from the rings you can set up your own ex pen. I was just thinking that if you have a relatively early ring time and Groups are late in the day, it can get tedious for you and the dogs to have to be on lead or in their crates all day.

Ya, i dont think the dogs would enjoy being in a crate all day. Or being hauled around on a leash either all day. Ill see what their rules are.

@Terry:

Is it an indoor or outdoor show? Indoor shows are usually fussier about space because they have to cram everything into the buildings. Everything here is indoor - unless they put them under a permanent pole barn type set up, in which case you show on dirt - or mud, because all of them leak when it rains - if it ever rains again in Texas! Glad I don't show Poodles, not fun to waste hours of grooming to have them gait around in the dirt and ruin it as soon as you get in the ring. Basenjis just look pained and tiptoe through it. Terry

Ya, its an indoor show. I dont think there is ever an outdoor show here, or at least never in Sioux Falls. Its in the Fair Grounds buidling. pretty big building but im sure thats why they wont let expens then. oh yuk! I bet that would suck to run a poodle in mud! Ya, i bet the basenjis dont like it much either. "Mom, im getting my paws dirty!" makes a spoiled rotten "princess" teenager face lol

• Sometimes the show time will be 8:00 am for one group and you might not show until the second group in (which may not have a time beside it)…..allow 3 mins per dog for showing. So if there are 15 dogs before you, you are looking at approx. 45 mins before you go in the ring. This usually happens at the smaller shows. They will start the ring at 8 or 9 then say break for lunch at 12 - 1. Well if you have 40 dogs in front of you, you don't have to be to the show until an hour before so you are looking at around 10:00 that you would show, so you should be there around 9ish. I hope this makes sense.....

• @krunzer:

Sometimes the show time will be 8:00 am for one group and you might not show until the second group in (which may not have a time beside it)…..allow 3 mins per dog for showing. So if there are 15 dogs before you, you are looking at approx. 45 mins before you go in the ring. This usually happens at the smaller shows. They will start the ring at 8 or 9 then say break for lunch at 12 - 1. Well if you have 40 dogs in front of you, you don't have to be to the show until an hour before so you are looking at around 10:00 that you would show, so you should be there around 9ish. I hope this makes sense.....

thank you! 🙂 Surprising that makes sense…however I think its only me and my two girls (and my bf is going to help handle one too) buuut i have one question. Does the dogs before mean just in my class or does it mean all the dogs in the show? Thanks!

• @misspodhradsky:

thank you! 🙂 Surprising that makes sense…however I think its only me and my two girls (and my bf is going to help handle one too) buuut i have one question. Does the dogs before mean just in my class or does it mean all the dogs in the show? Thanks!

In each breed dogs are always in the ring before bitches. It is by breed, dogs first, followed by bitches

• Ok so for example:
    Group 1 shows at 8:00 am
    there are 43 dogs in the group
    It would take about 2 hours for a judge to go thru all of these dogs

Group 2 – no time but would start at approximately 10:00 am
    there are 20 dogs in this group
    It would take about 1 hour to judge this group

Group 3 -- no time but would start at about 11:00am

I hope this clears things up a little.

• You do have to allow for absentees, which can reduce the times. For example, if the Afghans do not turn up, they will go straight into Bs. As Bs are early in Group 4 Hounds, make sure you are there for the start of that Group. (It is Group 4 here in Oz, but may be slightly different in North America.) Make sure you are there for the start of the Group, and you can watch the routine of what happens when the exhibits are called, and the order they are called, so that you can pick up the order of events.

It might also be a good idea to let the Ring Steward know that you are new to this, and usually they will prompt you where necessary, and they might let the judge know that you are a "first timer". I always encourage new people so that their enthusiasm does override their nervousness.

Have a great day.

Keep chortling,
    Len in Kapunda

• Thank you everyone! It is all so helpful! 🙂

Ill be sure to keep everything in mind when i get things ready and also when i head out and get there. Thanks Len ill make sure to tell them im a first timer.

Suggested Topics