Skip to content

Basenji breeder from the past

Basenji Talk
  • Yesterday we went to a fun dog show and bumped into a lady who had two Basenjis in the past. She got the girl from a very well known breeder in the 50's but couldn't remember the name.
    She mentioned the kennel name Riverdell or Riverdene, she showed her dog whose show name was little Brown Jug. Eventualy Little Brown jug went to live in the Isle of White.

  • That was probably one of Phyllis Cook's of the Riviana Basenjis I would think.

  • Little Brown Jug was bred by Phyllis Cook and was indeed a Riviana. Did she say the name of the bitch, Shelley? Possibly another Riviana.

  • Jenny and Helena, thanks for your replies.
    It's always interesting talking to basenji people. The lady didn't mention the name of the bitch. She did say that Little Brown Jug went to live with someone on the Isle of White.
    She also said that she's never heard a Basenji yodel, unfortunately Kwame wouldn't perform for her.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji for me or not ?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?: Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day. Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much. Why would you even think about training a hunting hound to stay home alone ? I would never let my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, and even that is very rare. 3 hours is absolute maximum. Like @tanza, I have sold puppies into apartment environments as long as all other boxes ticked positive. Someone there all the time, proper attention to training, not just leaving the dog alone, especially not as a puppy. btw, he won't bark at all. As you would know if you had really researched the breed. He will cry and scream but not bark ! No. At least you are asking questions but I really think you should find another breed.
  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • 1 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    A
    @m0nia86 I know, what are the odds! I have not been up Cavehill in years also, so maybe it was meant to be that we bumped into eachother 😊 I saw the forum notification about Northern Ireland and I thought hmmmmm that's interesting, and had to take a look. I will private message you the email address that I have for Charlotte, but I am sure it's the same as what you have already been given.
  • 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    CrazySenjiC
    Yes email her! She usually gets back to me that day.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!