$300.00 Looking for new Home - Ottawa, Ontario - Male red/white Basenji

• I have a male Basenji, born February 2010, red and white. He is a great dog. The cutest dog you have ever seen. Very loving. Loves to cuddle, gives kisses and hugs. Loves to be around people and other dogs. Requires a lot of attention and a lot of exercise. He can run on the treadmill for 40 minutes at 5. He is crate trained (during the day while at work) sleeps on his own bed on the floor in my room. Once in a while he gets to sleep in my bed and loves it. He is house trained. Walks perfectly well, sits when asked or when you are walking and stop to talk to someone or getting ready to cross the road. He can lay down and stay when asked or when you are at the table eating. This avoids any jumping and snatching food off the counter or table. He can be a handful if he is not exercised enough and you do not keep an eye on him. He is a hunter by instinct and can shred a stuffed animal in minutes. Even the toys (tuff scale) 8 to 10 which should be tough to destroy, he can destroy in minutes. He cannot be trusted off leash as evreything interests him and he will run away. He needs a strong leader or he will take over the household.

When we got Copper, we had the time for him. My family has shrunk. I am alone now, and my only assistant, my daughter, is going to University in the fall. I am a senior, but still working. I'm not the right person for this type of dog. He deserves a family that can spend a lot of time with him, has a fenced in yard where he can run and play. People that will play with him, walk him, run with him and give him a lot of love and attention.

All I can do with him is walk him and give him love and attention. But he spends 9 hours a day in his crate while I'm at work and I don't think this is fair to him. I take him for long walks, but I know he would love more than that. I also feel tied down to a dog that needs more than I can give. It stresses me to always have to run home after work to take him out and it is too expensive to hire someone to do this all the time. I don't drive, so I can't take him to dog parks.

If some one owns a Basenji and would like another one for companion, or who has owned a Basenji before and knows what they are like and wants another one let me know. We love Copper and want to find a good permanent home for him. I will take care of him until I do. He deserves a home where he can get more attention and exercise.

He's been fixed, up to date on his shots, and has a clean bill of health. He weighs 20 pounds. So he is a bit small for a Basenji, but really cute.

Price is to cover the new crate, and life time dog training if you are in Ottawa. The rest will be donated to a local animal shelter.

• What about his breeder? Most responsible breeders have contracts that say if you have to give up your Basenji for any reason it needs to go back to them. Have you had contact with your Basenji's breeder?

• And if the breeder won't take him, please DO NOT give free! Charging even $200 helps you keep him in the hands of someone who cares, even if you donate the money to a rescue.

• Hi,

I have no contract with the breeder. Copper was shipped to us from Texas. i didn't realise giving him away was a bad thing. Makes sense what you say.

I'll amend the post.

• Do you still have Copper?

• You can also list him with BRAT. www.basenjirescue.org
    They do a great job rehoming b's.

• Hello I was reading about your situation with you basenji. I am very interested in him. I grew up with 4 basenjies. I fell extremly sad that you have to crate him for 9 hrs a day. I am a stay at home mom with two children. If you still have him I would love to see a picture of him or meet him. Thank you angelina

• Angelina, this post is several months old, the original poster may not read forum often. You might contact Admin and ask them for a direct contact, or if they will contact the poster for you. It sounds like you have a good situation for Cooper. Good luck!

• Oh thanks. I didn't realize how old the post was. I am knew to the site. I grew up with 3 basenji. My mom used to show our dogs. I would very much love to have one. It breaks my heart to see that people have to get rid of their basenji. I would love to buy one. But if their is one out their that is in need of a home I would very much like to help. Angelina

• @angelina:

Hello I was reading about your situation with you basenji. I am very interested in him. I grew up with 4 basenjies. I fell extremly sad that you have to crate him for 9 hrs a day. I am a stay at home mom with two children. If you still have him I would love to see a picture of him or meet him. Thank you angelina

Hi,

If you are still interested, I'll post a picture, as soon as I can get my daughter to put pictures on my computer. He is super beautiful. Everyone just loves him.

Do you live in Ottawa, Ontario?

• Hello. My name is angelina. I live in brighton ontario. And I would love to see your basenji. I have plenty of love and plenty of room. I grew up with basenjis and I do know what they are like. I don't know if you still have him would you be able to give me a call 613 243 2941. Thank you

• I've attached some photos. I will call this week.
    attachment_p_148221_0_img_2314.jpg
    attachment_p_148221_1_copper.jpg

• Fingers crossed that this all works s out!!

• Hi,

I talked to my daughter last night and she really does not want me to find him another home, even though he's making her sick, (she's allergic to him). She threatened to leave home if I did. She's 18 so she could. I guess we will try and keep him. The good news is I did find a place that will pick up and drop off dogs, take them for long walks in the woods, and let them play with other dogs for the day. All for just $17.00 a day. So at least he's not in a crate for 9 hours any more and he seems to really enjoy it. He runs to the person right away and is excited to go and comes back very happy and tired.

Suggested Topics