• Just be consistant because they forget pretty quickly

• The issue is age, not that no one who works should own dogs…but you knew that was the issue.
    While most basenji breeders seem to prefer 10 wks or older to place, I wouldn't say 8 wks for placing is a crime. But a breeder who placed a pup knowing you would leave it 8 hrs a day... sorry that does send up red flags.
    I think having your neighbors play with him is quite a perfect idea! He gets his day broken up and fun and socialization. However, I would never leave a puppy 8 hours without water and some food. Puppies have a hard time maintaining blood levels, which is why 3 to 4 meals a day are given and slowly weaned down to a couple by the time they are about 4 or 5 mos old.

Biting... if the noise doesn't work, say NO in firm voice and walk off. Second the teeth come out, NO, walk off. They eventually learn. I don't mind the biting, btw. I work on teaching them to use soft teeth. But that's me.

• @Voodoo:

I would never put a puppy 8 hours in a bench without water!! If they are thirsty, he should be able to drink!

That may work for you in Belgium, but a dog can live without water for 8 hours, as can a human.
    What goes IN must come OUT.
    Giving them the water and expecting them to hold it at such a young age is a set-up for failure.
    If they learn to not pee in the crate because they don't have water… they will learn that the crate stays dry and it is nice to have a dry crate.
    Perhaps you have trained more puppies than me... but this works. Period.
    I have done this many many many times and the dogs don't have an issue with it.

Suggested Topics