• Ok is it used because it´s better for the nails or just because it´s easier both my dog´s are so used to it that it takes less then 15 minutes to cut them both.I use a sanding band for Max dewclaws(not legal to cut them in sweden same as you can´t cut ears or dock tails) but that´s about it:)

• @myran:

Ok is it used because it´s better for the nails or just because it´s easier both my dog´s are so used to it that it takes less then 15 minutes to cut them both.I use a sanding band for Max dewclaws(not legal to cut them in sweden same as you can´t cut ears or dock tails) but that´s about it:)

I think both, better for the nails and easier for the dogs… I can do all 5 of mine in under 15 minutes... but of course that is because I am used to using it.... I always made the nails bleed with clippers

• I´ve been lucky sofar that´s one of the reasons I do them every week to avoid injuries.It was much more difficult in my childhood when we had two black greyhounds(showdogs) which ofcourse meant blacknails that was a challenge.

• @myran:

I´ve been lucky sofar that´s one of the reasons I do them every week to avoid injuries.It was much more difficult in my childhood when we had two black greyhounds(showdogs) which ofcourse meant blacknails that was a challenge.

Yes, that is for sure, black nails were/are harder to trim…. the grinder makes it a little easier... but like I said, I am used to it and so are the Basenjis...

• I´ve tried to look for dremmel but clipping seems to be the thing in our part of the world.

• You may want to try to contact the company themselves-see if they'll ship one to you. Anyone have a link for the Dremel company??

• How about a foot file the smoother side that´s what I use for Max´s dew claws.The one´s that owned him before ahd let his claws grow too long so it´s taken be sometime to get to acceptable length especially the dew claws I couldn´t clip them so I used the file.

• Mine are self bathing. Like my cat, who is self petting, just stick out your hand and he'll rub against it.

• @tanza:

That is so funny hearing all of you that bath so often…. mine are lucky (unless we are showing) if they get a bath 2x a year... However I do brush them at least once every two weeks and go over them with my hands looking for lumps and bumps... and during shedding season, at least once a week... I can honestly say, mine have never had a doggy smell... one thing that I love about Basenjis. And ever this time of year when they lay in the dirt... it just really "falls" off of them... the dust...

I do nails at least every two weeks, every week if showing... and I use a grinder and not clippers. Brushing teeth should be a daily thing...

I wouldn't say that mine "need" baths, but I sure can tell the difference. Their coats feel "dusty" to me {in the summer after they've lain in the dirt/dust of the yard}, and their white just doesn't look as white. I love how the coats feel after the bath, and the whiteseems to sparkle. So I don't bathe the Basenjis because they stink or anything, but they just look and feel so much nicer.
    {Gypsy, on the other hand….. NEEDS bathing! LOL}

• Gibbs likes to explore the shower too..but ONLY if he knows he can exit upon choice. I have found him dancing around in the bathtub trying to rip up the suction cup plastic (need I say more?) bathmat many, many times. He also learned to flip the lever up and turn the water on to get a drink! I was worried about the hot water lever so I have taken to closing the bathroom door. He only gets entry to the bathroom if I am home and can keep an eye on him and what he is up to. If he does leave my side I KNOW I better check and see what his bad-boy-self is investigating….as for grooming: unless he is a muddy mess, no bath. He will allow it but looks insulted. The pet wipes will help sometimes but most of the year he does his own Basenji-self-cleaning-ritual. Gibby adores the glove brushing! He thinks that's pure Momma-love time and I just talk to him as he gets a brushing so he thinks of it as petting. The vet attends to his nails and on occasion if he is tired and sitting on my lap I can use an emery board to smooth them.. We are on our 10th toothbrush--it's not that he so strongly dislikes the teeth cleaning but he flippin' loves finding where I store the toothbrush for him (ugh). He really had some damaged teeth and I just try to clean them as best as I can. He allows you to use the finger-swab brushes easily as he thinks he's getting a treat. It's so funny how particular they can be..

Suggested Topics