I have gotten conflicting information

about Fanconi, but it appears from reading here that if a dog's DNA test comes back as a probable carrier, he likely won't develop Fanconi? I have ordered Pokey's test and should receive it any time now. Waiting to get the test and then the wait for the results seems like an eternity. Both Pokey's parents tests came back a couple of months ago as probable carriers.

well from what I understand, an accurate probable carrier means he cant develop fanconi, but the test is NOT 100 % accurate so there is chance there is mistake but if it is accurate cannot develop it. I would be very happy with probable carrier, just sent Ayos test out and hasbeen received today at OFA , nervous two weeks!! His parents are porbably clear and probable carrier..

The suggestion is to still do a monthy strip test, just in case of human error in the testing.

The test is not 100% accurate because it is a linkage test and not a direct test. I would strip test monthly for glucose in the urine starting at age 2.

Jennifer Hill

That is what our vet told us - he said strip test monthly starting at years old.

@feebeejeebee:

That is what our vet told us - he said strip test monthly starting at years old.

Earliest age that I have ever heard of a dog spilling is 2yrs 9month… mostly everyone goes by test at 3yrs.

I hope that your B comes back as only a Carrier (and yes, because it is a linkage test you need to test) but that said chances are a lot lower with a Carrier.

To add to that, I would especially test a pup from a Carrier to Carrier breeding for sure, even is they came back clear... and for sure if Carrier. Too bad the sire and dam were not tested before the breeding took place...

Thank you, Pat and all who responded. Our vet told us that he wanted us to start strip testing young because if he ever develops it he said it is better to catch it sooner. Prior to reading in here, I had understood that a carrier could develop fanconi, but it looks like some of the people very close to these dogs follow closely those who are researching this condition.

@feebeejeebee:

Thank you, Pat and all who responded. Our vet told us that he wanted us to start strip testing young because if he ever develops it he said it is better to catch it sooner. Prior to reading in here, I had understood that a carrier could develop fanconi, but it looks like some of the people very close to these dogs follow closely those who are researching this condition.

Just remember it is best (especially since the strips expire usually in 6 months) that the best way is to strip test them a couple of days in a row. At the beginning, they might spill one day and then skip a few days… so IMO, the once a month is a bit out dated. I would strip once a month for 4 days in a row. And I have seen dogs that are at the beginning stage of Fanconi spill one day and skip the next or two...

Pat, you are the first to share this information with me. Thank you very much.

@feebeejeebee:

Pat, you are the first to share this information with me. Thank you very much.

Glad to help… and this is only because I knew a Basenji lost to Fanconi that did this... in the beginning, he would spill a little and the next day or two, nothing... but then on the fourth day would spill a little again.

But still hoping that you get no worse then a Carrier result. And hope that the breeders will not breed this pair again.

I find it frustrating that they were bred, accidentally or not (spring breeding) and not tested when they were younger. Once I have Pokey's results, I will have a conversation with the breeder. She is not someone I would send anyone to for a puppy.

Pat, when someone else suggested testing more than one day a month, I searched, found NOTHING anywhere that advised that. Biologically it doesn't make much sense either. While some variations day to day, not "no spill" and then significant spill. It won't hurt to test every day of their lives, but I'd really like you to tell me where this advice comes from since it sure isn't on the basenji page or anywhere else I looked.

I never said that it was "written" as the advises to test a few days in a row… But I am speaking from first hand knowledge from 3 different Basenjis. When they first started to spill, it was exactly as I have stated. They spilled one day, skipped one or two days and then tested spilling again. If you want to dispute that, fine. But again, I am speaking from first hand knowledge (one that I wish I didn't have).

SO THE ADVISE COMES FROM ME! and 20+ years in the breed and first hand knowledge of Fanconi Afflicted Basenjis.

Fortunately I have not had a basenji with Fanconi, but I remember when Hank in Austin was first diagnosed, he only showed slightly, then not the next day, then positive again. His was caught really early and he has done well. If she had stripped him on the 'no response' day, another month or more might have gone by before treatment started. People way back then talked about testing several days in a row, or at least several times a month. I'll take 'first hand knowledge' over abstract theory every time!

I have a question. If your dog tests as a carrier, or afflicted… even if not spilling, is there any health advantage to going ahead and DOING the protocol or will it matter if you wait til it actually develops?

And I guess I don't know that a month delay would be all that big of a deal, but if you all are still finding such recordings even with newer more accurate strips, then why not write BCOA and ask them to PLEASE make that recommendation. Seriously. I had never seen or heard it, so I test once a month. While I am seriously into research as proof, with so little done, unless they have proven it DOESN'T really matter, we should be proactive and push for what is safest.

I will now start doing at least 2 days. Which helps MY dogs, but everyone should be aware that for whatever reason, strange spill/no spill tests occur 2 days in row. Maybe it's bad strips, messed up testing/contamination... but it does make sense to test 2 or 3 days if a month makes a big health difference.

@DebraDownSouth:

I have a question. If your dog tests as a carrier, or afflicted… even if not spilling, is there any health advantage to going ahead and DOING the protocol or will it matter if you wait til it actually develops?

According to Dr Gonto there is no advantage to the protocol if your Basenji is not spilling. You certainly would not want to give your dog Bi-Carbs or Potassium supplements, at least I would not think so …. but things like vitamins, many do already.

If you have a dog that tested DNA probably affected but is not spilling sugar, you could do a venous blood gas test and a CBC every six months but I would not start a dog on bicarbs or the protocol without it being necessary. Too many bicarbs, potassium and supplements without a dog needing it could make it ill.

Jennifer

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.