IN/OH/KY-8 mth old Deaf Female B Mix in Shelter

• do it! she's a cutie, and it's getting to be lovely and spring-y - a great time for a road trip!

• If anyone is interested in her, please research deaf dogs and the training it requires. Sometimes an outside trainer is required so please find out if there is a trainer in your area that has experience with deaf dogs.

Jennifer

• Jennifer,
    Sent you an E-mail in that I had contacted the shelter and spoke to Marlene. Spent a lot of time looking on line and saving the info on dealing with a deaf dog. Lots of good info out there but it sounds like a lot of patience and understanding is required. Some recommend teaching the dog a kind of hand language and even using a vibration collar to get its attention. Flashlights also said to work, just to get him/her to look. Going to talk with a couple of kennels in the morning about anyone in the area who might be able to help.
    DaMac

• @Quercus:

I wish I could take this girl…she is soooo cute!

me too!!! odd how some just grab your heart, even when it's just a pic

• DaMac,Thank you for doing what you have done for this dog.
    Your wonderful!

• Hey Sharron,
    Just been inquiring, thank me when I get her home. There were no guide lines on dealing with a blind dog when it happened to me. Know I have the time now and certainly the patience. The kennel said she has a soul mate, little beagle, that get along just great together. Maybe a two for?? Going to call in the morning but dealing with some really nasty weather the last couple of days here.
    Dave

• Destiny was at The Ohio State Univ. Vet Clinic and had her BEAR hearing test along with a neurological exam due to her head tilting and rear paws/legs shuffling which I noticed when she walked across a thinner carpet in the kitchen area.

Based on the BEAR test and her normal ear drums, she has sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, most likely congenital/hereditary in nature.

I am more concerned about the results of her neurological exam. The exam suggests that she has lesions affecting her caudal cervical spinal cord (C6-C8) (neck), her rostral medulla (brainstem) and possibly her cerebellum. Most of the deficits are bilateral and fairly symmetrical. Since there is no history of onset and progression it is difficult to have an idea of the cause of these deficits. Differentials would be an inflammatory process (active or inactive), degenerative diseases, and les likely a congenital anomaly orpost-traumatic deficits. The recommendation is to have a CBC/Profile, UA, cervical radiographs, MRI of brain and cervical spine, +/- CSF. They want me to monitor her for progession of her neurological signs.

I will be having some of these tests done for her-the CBC/Profile and the x-rays. I am looking to raise some funds in order to pay for them. She has been treated for a UTI and had to change antibiotics because it was not clearing up. So far I have spent a little over $310 for her vet care.

She is a sweet girl but plays a bit too rough and does not know when to stop playing for two of my Bs who have health issues-one who has Fanconi and one with an esophagus motility problem. She gets along with all my Bs though-2 females and 2 males. She is spayed and up-to-date on vaccines and is on monthly heartworm medication. She is housetrained and cratetrained. She has only had 2 accident in the house and these were due to her UTI. She has been with me and out of the shelter for almost 3 weeks.

I am hoping to take some pictures this weekend whenever the rain will stop. She is possibly a B/Herding/Spitz mix and is about 10-11 months old and weighs 32 lbs. She will lay on the ground like a herding dog even when the grass is damp/wet. She runs around the kitchen table and the living room chasing the Bs and vice versa.

If you are interested in donating to her care or know a rescue group or someone who could take her permanently, please contact me at jensrescue@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Jennifer Hill

• Jennifer, I might know somebody who is a possiblity. Has this girl been around kids? I am going to forward my friend the pic, and I will let you know if she is interested.

• Since she was found as a stray, no knowledge if she has been around children. When she gets overly excited to see someone she can be mouthy since she is still young so probably no real young children. I get her to sit, direct her focus away from my hand and give her a nylabone chew toy. This usually works.

She is learning how to sit with the hand signal for sit and almost has it learned. She is a fairly easy pill giver as she has not spit out a pill yet! She did a playbow today to the Bs to try to get them to play. My two middle Bs, Arnie-10 years old and Bambi-8 years old play with her. She can bark but is not overly barky. I feel she does need more socialization and I am planning on doing that this coming week when the weather is better.

If you need additional information or have specific questons about her, let me know.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

Since she was found as a stray, no knowledge if she has been around children. When she gets overly excited to see someone she can be mouthy since she is still young so probably no real young children. I get her to sit, direct her focus away from my hand and give her a nylabone chew toy. This usually works.

She is learning how to sit with the hand signal for sit and almost has it learned. She is a fairly easy pill giver as she has not spit out a pill yet! She did a playbow today to the Bs to try to get them to play. My two middle Bs, Arnie-10 years old and Bambi-8 years old play with her. She can bark but is not overly barky. I feel she does need more socialization and I am planning on doing that this coming week when the weather is better.

If you need additional information or have specific questons about her, let me know.

Jennifer

I will Jennifer, my friend is seriously considering it 🙂

Suggested Topics