Skip to content

Stressed out about this behaviour and need help…..

Behavioral Issues
  • I have the same issue with Mojo, but in his case he only likes to go after bigger dogs ( especially pitbulls!!) We quit going to the dog park, and if we do try to go back, we do it when almost nobody is there. He loves dogs smaller than him- maybe a bit of Napoleon Syndrome?

  • I agree with JayCee. I had to know his limits with my male and not put him in a position where he would fail.

    As yes, some dog owners dont understand the basenji play, but some do. I have met a great bunch of folks at the park who have taken some time with their dogs to help mine out. Very much appreciated.

    No matter what kind of dog you have, there will always be that one person at the park the park who has a problem. I avoid those folks. I also want the park to be safe for all. If someone brings their children in, I remove my dogs immediately since i dont know how they are with children. Always be respectful of other owners and dogs at the park.

    Anyway, i want my basenjis to be able to play with any kind of dog and not just basenjis. Success so far.

Suggested Topics

  • Desperately need your help!

    Moved Behavioral Issues
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Sudden behavior change at this age is almost always medical. I am glad you are now keeping him separated, but honestly you should have the first incident. After the first bite, most courts or judges would rule you knew he was a danger and he could not only have been seized, but you sued for significant damages. You are lucky no one is filing. Thyroid is the primary cause that I am aware of for sudden change. Yes, brain tumors are possible, but more likely thyroid. Some forms of epilepsy also can cause a dog to attack, but typically this is truly out of nowhere-- not like what you describe when a dog is told no about something. Pain can also do it.. sadly cancer had been found in similar situations of sudden growing aggression. The ENCOURAGING part is you had several months without problems... so again, look at the most simple... thyroid. Make sure you get a full panel, not just an in-house partial. In the meantime, understand you didn't cause this, and it may be fixable. If thyroid, it's inexpensive medication. But you won't know until you get tests runs. Hopefully those wanting him put down will feel better knowing you are acting to find out if there is a medical issue.
  • Need help ASAP

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    @dmcarty: Since they are so young I would assume it is each trying to figure out where they fit in the scheme of things and you may be overreacting. I will however tell you that the one breed of dogs that my basenjis have never liked is ****zu. LOL ….. you know it is all about the hair!
  • Need Help with chewing, everything

    Behavioral Issues
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    9k Views
    BlueBellB
    I am finding out quickly that if things are too quiet I better go find Bella. Most of the time she is asleep but there are those times that my tennis shoes or sandals are now becoming just chew toys. Upsetting but funny too. Kind of like my 2 year old grandson's antics.
  • Strange Behavior need help

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    I would also pump up her exercise…make your walkies longer and more frequent. A tired b' is a happy b.
  • Help with aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    L
    Some basenjis seem to have particular kinds of dogs they don't like. My Abbey is best friends with a rottweiller, a black lab, and a dalmation, but she hates golden retrievers! What do they go by, coat color?? She goes after anything that moves at the vet's though. My first basenji many years ago, Pumpkin, climbed trees to get after squirrels, and fences were no problem either.
  • Need help with crate training please

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    11k Views
    DukeD
    How is the crate training with Ripley going? It's been awhile since we've heard any progress.