• Cricket just FINALLY passed out. She had her 2nd round of vaccines over four hours ago. The vet said she would be very tired from them… RIGHT... talk about crazy! She was running, jumping, climbing, pouncing, rooing, biting, chewing, snarling, attacking, shredding, UGGGGGG!!!!!
    But now she's out. It's so quiet... and I dread the next round in a month...

ps: since I'm updating... last weekend we went out to our cabin on the farm and she met the farm dogs (two Great Perenese mixes and one Border Collie). She loved them, and they her! She is terrified of the sheep. We went house visiting to several family members. She was perfect for all of them. We finished off family day by visiting grandma and all the other seniors in the lodge. Cricket was such a sweet heart! She was so gentle, sat for pets, and wasn't afraid of the wheel chairs, walkers, canes, etc.
    Everyone said she was so well behaved. Thanks Bob!

...and she's up again, chewing my hair, and licking my ear... oh geez, I have to go!

• Houston

hehe..Pippin never seemed to slow down either once he got his shots…gotta love'em.

• @Knipper:

and she's up again, chewing my hair, and licking my ear… oh geez, I have to go!

This must be a basenji pre-requisite? Kipawa gives me an ear lick before he buries his snoot in my hair.

So far I have seen that shots do not slow a basenji down. The vet is a fun place, the car ride home more fun and then it's time to get back to business, which is being a basenji. 🙂 Kipawa has on all three occasions (getting shots) gotten a small bump at the inoculation site. Has that happened to Cricket? I find that they go away in about 3 weeks, with some gentle massaging.

From what I can see with Kipawa, he is very respectful of wheelchairs and older people. I wonder if basenjis can sense the special qualities of these people.

• @Kipawa:

This must be a basenji pre-requisite? Kipawa gives me an ear lick before he buries his snoot in my hair.

So far I have seen that shots do not slow a basenji down. The vet is a fun place, the car ride home more fun and then it's time to get back to business, which is being a basenji. 🙂 Kipawa has on all three occasions (getting shots) gotten a small bump at the inoculation site. Has that happened to Cricket? I find that they go away in about 3 weeks, with some gentle massaging.

From what I can see with Kipawa, he is very respectful of wheelchairs and older people. I wonder if basenjis can sense the special qualities of these people.

Vacines have never slowed down either Ozzy or Aaliyah (the youngest), but both Brando and Ruby are knocked out after - and usually have room clearing gas. :eek:

Regarding them being respectful of older or wheelchair bound people. When I took care of my elderly father, at the time I had Ruby, Brando and puppy Aaliyah.

Aaliyah would jump up in my father's lap to completely wash his face (and he would laugh at her because it tickled). Also he would be sitting watching television and his cane would be on the floor beside him and all of a sudden you would see his can start to disappear and Aaliyah would be tugging on it and then drag it around the room. She had zero sense that he was unsteady on his feet and was completely oblivious to his age it seemed. When my father would dream at night, you would hear him laughing and you knew he was dreaming of Aaliyah licking his face as it was exactly the same sort of laughter.

Brando is a wise a$$ and somewhat a bull in a china closet. He was rough with my father and consequently my father was a little afraid of him when Brando was in a playful mood. He'd tug on his shirt and pull on his pant leg - all the time his tail wagging happily - thinking he was being funny. Needless to say, we supervised Brando closely once we got the first inkling that was how he would behave.

Ruby…she was my father's angel dog. She was extremely in tune to my father. If she was running around in the house and my father got up out of his chair to move, she would sit and let him pass and wouldn't resume running until he was seated. If she was running around and he opened his medicine bottles to take meds, she would run to his side, sit until he had taken his medicine and once he was done, she would be on her way - that was her job, comfort while he was taking medicine. She would sit by his side to be petted by him. The day my father was taken into the hospital before he passed, my father was in bed and Ruby was running by his room and she became desperate to go in and see him (never had done that before). She would not leave the door to the room (door was open, but a baby gate was blocking it so no dogs could go in), she cried until we let her in. Once we brought her in the room she put her front paws up on the bed and stood there to see him. Ruby definitely was in a funk for a while after my father passed.

• All of our Basenjis have suffered from lumps after shots, our vet says to massage, massage, massage the first couple of days as much as possible to keep lumps from forming, especially if going to be showing.

• She had a lump, but it has disappeared. I guess the constant running and skidding across the wooden floors has massaged it away…
    She's back to herself now, which is so good. I had to wrap her in a blanket (burrito-style) so that I could sleep last night. Husband got home at midnight and accidently rescued her... he was up for another hour trying to tire her out. ...then he woke me up to re-burrito wrap her. We barely slept.

Suggested Topics