Skip to content

Jazzy's kids

Behavioral Issues
  • We have six children, ranging in age from 7 - 19 yrs. Jazzy is great with them. She follows them everywhere, tries to steal their popcorn, lets them cart her around the house, and rock her to sleep. She has never growled or shown any displeasure toward any of them or their friends. Even in play she has never even used her teeth with them –me, on the other hand, she loves to bite my arms when we play! She will play-wrestle with me more than with anyone else. But then, she also listens better to me than anyone else. Definitely my dog. Or should I say, definitely her person?

    She has no trouble accepting the "usual" kid visitors, but occasionally quietly growls at small complete strangers who want to run up to the "Little doggie" and grab at her. :o We're working on that -- but I also wish parents would teach their kids to not run up and grab doggies! If the kids give her a chance to come to them instead, she does just fine.

  • Blossom is a rescue at 3.we have had her and a male rescue for 3yrs Blossom let our 7yr old grandson do whatever he wishes and puts a stop when she wants and he has been taught to honor this.

Suggested Topics

  • Why do Basenji's fight with each other?

    Behavioral Issues
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    15k Views
    N
    @tanza: There is a play date in the East Bay…. and they have lots of Basenjis... you just have to get past the initial meet/greet..... lots of noise... and just get used to it.... Hi Tanza, can you please advise where/when these plays take place in the East Bay? I've just moved in SF with my boy Basenji and we are looking for a company for our walks. Thanks in advance. Maria.
  • What's THIS peeing all about?

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    6k Views
    Patty MP
    I hope all are okay tonight! :)
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    9k Views
    BarklessdogB
    Agreed. Sometimes I think the grosser it is they more they enjoy seeing our faces when they do it.
  • Basenji's & Autism

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    7k Views
    MacPackM
    Great article. And I love the quote from another article : As a Dog World magazine article put it several years ago: "Modern basenjis are living antiquities that will make your home their jungle, your furniture their monkey bars, and every walk a safari."
  • That's NOT a good enough excuse!

    Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    nobarkusN
    Dog parks are unpredictable because every time you go there's some different dogs that you don't know and what they'll do. Buddy is very friendly but the trouble is people throwing the ball for their dog and the dog gets aggressive when another goes after it or near it which sometimes Buddy does and he gets attacked.
  • Brando's Big Break Thru…

    Behavioral Issues
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    youngandtiredY
    I haven't used a crate since my B was here and learned how to potty outside. I have underground fencing and a doggie door, and she does just fine. Just make sure there is nothing left out that they may get standing on their hind legs, they are masters at this. All the things she has gotten has been while I was home, just to get my attention to chase her.