• Harley will be 7 months old on the 20th, I've had him since he was 9 weeks old and He has always slept in his crate, which is usually located downstairs in the kitchen.
    Lately he has be incredibly tired, (incapable of standing) in order to sleep in his crate. If not he whines and whines and the whining builds, almost like he was never crate trained. He has spent every night in his crate, always, and naps in it when we are making/eating dinner and when we leave he still goes in his crate with little fuss.
    The other night he whined for 2 hours straight, with very few breaks and I had no hope of him stopping, he even chewed on his bed, which he's never done to that bed and he's had it for months now. So I let him out calmed him down, he fell asleep and was put back in his crate, perfectly.
    My boyfriend was out of town this weekend so I thought I would try something, so I moved the crate back up to the bedroom (where it hasn't been since his first week Harley was with me) thinking that starting training over might help but he still whined but softer. Then I gave him something that smelled like me, still whining but softer yet. Then I moved the crate right next to the bed and the whining was more like sighed breathing, then he fell asleep.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Here is some additional information.
    I'm a night student so I'm home during the day and he gets crated until my boyfriend gets home from work (2 hours tops). He's also crated sometimes during the day, if I'm going out or just doing something in which no interruptions is required. He might make a noise or two to protest, but that's it. He always has a Nylabone in his crate with him in case he gets bored.

Since he turned 6 months, he has been changing some behaviors, marking, slight aggression at the dog park (to be top dog, or treat related), growing into the role of protector (but a nurturing protector, amazing with my boyfriend's 2 yr old, who lives with his mother). Following me around the house, every where, but it i close the door behind me, he just sits and waits, no fuss. He's getting fixed this week.

Oh and I think this is a separate issue but just in case…. his pooh has been runny, no diarrhea, and it hardens if he's been holding it for a while but it always ends runny. He's been on 100% new for at least 4 weeks, and while we were switching his food, it wasn't this runny.

• let him sleep with you. they love it.

• Most baenjis dont do well in crates they want to sleep in the bed like their humans , be carefull with the crate check his paws to make sure they are not digging or chewing on the crate .Yes they will take apart a couch if they get mad or left alone but thats the breed .Be carefull though if they do get in the bed and growl at you or anyone else never kick, sceam,or hit they are trying to protect you and find this to be a threat and nip.Just gently put on the floor on their bed they rather be good then sleep alone .
    More help on www.BRAT.com

• @dreyer63:

Most baenjis dont do well in crates they want to sleep in the bed like their humans , be carefull with the crate check his paws to make sure they are not digging or chewing on the crate .Yes they will take apart a couch if they get mad or left alone but thats the breed .Be carefull though if they do get in the bed and growl at you or anyone else never kick, sceam,or hit they are trying to protect you and find this to be a threat and nip.Just gently put on the floor on their bed they rather be good then sleep alone .
    More help on www.BRAT.com

While I have nothing against B's in bed, I disagree with the statement "don't do well in crates". All of mine have always been crate trained as pups and I have never had a problem with them sleep in their crates. The crates are in the bedroom so they know we are close by. My two girls, now 7 months and 6 1/2 months both sleep in their crates. Even if they start out on the bed when we are watching TV, both when they think it is "sleep" time will get off the bed and go in their crates. However, that said, they are not crated during the day as we have a dog room with access to the back yard for them during the day when we are at work.

• You are correct about the younger ones being crate trained however the Basenjis I have sheltered and adopted were older , found this quote and posted from(Basenjis a complete pet owners manual)"crate training older BAsenji take a different approach.If basenjis are not started in crates from the beginning it may be virtually impossible to confine them in close quarters later in life.Even if confinement is not a problem for you at home, what will happen when you need to board the Basenji?What if your dog needs surgery and is confined for the first time in a cage at the vets? Insuch a situation a Basenji may go into a neurotic fit,try to escape , and inflict damage on himself."

• While I don't disagree that crate training an older Basenjis especially coming from a rescue situation can be difficult, the person with the question in this particular post is about a puppy (7th month old) that they have had since 9 wks

• I would go back to the basics and leave the crate in the bedroom. And once he is calm, start moving the crate towards the door. Then outside the room (still in view to see you) and so on, gradually moving to the desired spot you want him to sleep. Patience is key.

My B, Gizmo (is 1 years old) will very often sleep in my bed. But if I want a break, he will happily sleep in his crate.

The loose stool/pooh, could be a result of him being so uneasy/nervous. It does not take much for puppy's to get loose pooh.

Suggested Topics