Skip to content

Raw feeding

Basenji Feeding

Suggested Topics

  • How much to feed a puppy?

    Basenji Feeding
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    17k Views
    TimesthemythT
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-domain-dog-food/ is really good for breaking down ingredients…..I mean they categorize tons of different brands fairly well and explain how they came to that conclusion. Costco has some cheap "good" options so I hear. It really is worth it to invest in a high protein (and high fiber) food; I only feed my 37 lb. dog a little less than half a cup of taste of the wild twice a day, and my 21 lb. dog gets 1/4 cup x 2 times a day. My little dog had ribs showing until I switched her from the corn based diet her breeder had her on to TOTW. Not to mention she was crapping like a million times a day, and had absolutely disgusting skin. Corn is absolutely terrible - goes right through them and they end up looking really skinny but real 'grain's are notorious for causing allergies. ...... With just my 37 lb. dog and a 30ish lb bag of taste of the wild ($ 55 dollars here in Alaska, so cheaper elsewhere) lasted well into the third month. So, that's about maybe 22 bucks a month [overestimation] spent on food for one dog…..which is pretty affordable really. And, of course, most brands are cheaper in the lower states anyways, possible to find even cheaper brands that are healthier than Eukanuba.
  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    dmeyD
    every time I hear things like that about raw feeding I ask myself the same questions.. what about Prime rib? what about steak served rare?. what about carpaccio, steak tartare, sushi,. and all kinds of meat and vegetables we eat raw..and like you mention. what about everyday handling of meat by.. uh everyone?
  • Raw food

    Basenji Feeding
    28
    0 Votes
    28 Posts
    23k Views
    L
    We switched our 2 boys to raw from kibble about 6 months ago. The switch came because we were simply exhausted from walking them 3 times a day because they had loose stool (we don't have fenced in yard, so we need to walk them to go to the bathroom). Our vet recommended more fiber in their diet to help with loose stool. This intuitively just didn't resonate with us. Basenji are one of the most ancient breeds of dog… why on earth would more fiber be a solution to their problem (I know the theoretical why, but logically it was counter-intuitive)? We read many sources or literature on the raw diet and thought this would be a good switch for them. Again, they are an ancient breed so moving toward raw foods seemed appropriate and logical. It took that about a month for them to get really accustomed to eating raw chicken quarters, rabbit halves or pork shoulders but now they have no problem gulping their meal right down, bone and all (for those of you who don't feed raw, gulping is a normal behavior and bone is an essential part of the diet). Their digestion issues have vanished and we've even seen marked improvement in their destructive behavior. Two super happy boys now, two super happy Basenji owners!!
  • Raw diet

    Basenji Feeding
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    18k Views
    KanangaK
    @nkjvcjs: I'm not at home, so I can't remember what we switched to, but I think it is the same thing. It comes in 4lb bags, and has a pheasant variety that the dogs are nuts for. -Nicole Yea, must be the same one. I picked up a 4lbs bag of the chicken formula and pheasant formula.
  • Raw feeding

    Basenji Feeding
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Feeding FRENZIE

    Basenji Feeding
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    10k Views
    DukeD
    @basenjibratz: The only one that checks to see what's going on in the kitchen is Talker. When he hears me picking up the bowls and putting the kibble in it, he'll come into the kitchen. You're lucky - I have to comment now because it's been a few nice days lately, where the humidity is low and I have the windows open. I have been putting doggies outside when preparing their food. I try ever so slowly to open the lazy-suzan to get clean bowls, then quietly as possible to open the cupboard door and slide out the tray where the food is kept. They HEAR it!! It's amazing! Next thing that goes on is them squabbling on the deck pawing on the doorwall glass. Well, I'm glad they're not at my feet doing this. I let them in when bowls are in crates and they FLY to their places. Geesh!! They're not starving, they're very well fed with 2 meals a day and add treats…it's their thing, I guess. So young though. I hope they cool it in due time. Not hoping for them to get old, because I go along with them in time, but hoping for a little mellow.