Skip to content

Puppy Nosework, Week 3

Basenji Training
  • Here is L'Ox from last weekend. I just forgot to post the video. He is now working with scattered boxes and other objects in the enviroment. He is also starting to do elevated searches. I have kept him at this level for another week because it is a bit more challenging and because this weekend he also was introduced to another new activity, lure coursing, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to keep him at this level another week.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSTJN64dqU

  • Are you working him to learn this as a service issue? ie service dog, or is it just to keep him busy?

  • I am working with him on this as a game for us to play. Nosework is a very new dog sport but it is alot of fun and the founders have worked really hard to make it a sport everyone can enjoy with their dog and to make it a very positive experience for the dogs.

    I have been working my adults at it also. They really enjoy the game. We are working towards pairing the food with a target scent. Our first scent will be birch but that is still several weeks away for L'Ox.

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy nipping?

    Basenji Training
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    LOL someone posted this yesterday and I have to share. Your pup? [image: attachment_p_153898_0_pickup.jpg]
  • The puppies first practice

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    Lisa..we will have to be there…I live in Waller-ish...about 10 minutes or so away..too cool.
  • Puppy Coursing

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Rio sounds like the type of girl to think things out ;) Loved the vid of L'Ox, he's realy grown.
  • Puppy training by breeder

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    C
    Thanks for the ideas! I had forgotten the collar training totally - as well as walking in leash nicely. Fortunately I have some training collars at home, before my order of measure made sighthound leather collars will arrive (at age of 8 weeks). We have now -20 Celsius and 1 meter snow in South-Finland, so it is impossible to start potty training in the garden ;) More ideas are welcome!
  • Training a puppy

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    HA! We did the up& back method at my petsmart class. Jack is so flexible, he would actually follow the treat back with his head, until his head was almost lying on his back. I think what I finally had to do was push his butt down with one hand, while holding the treat in front of his face with the other. He got really good at it…now, he sits when I snap my fingers, when I say sit, or, my favorite, when I salute him. Good luck!
  • New Puppy

    Basenji Training
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    jys1011J
    Awww shucks….Thank you :o it means a lot coming from you :) :) I absolutely value your opinion and your experience is invaluable for us newbies!