Skip to content

Background info on positive training methods

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Crate training

    Basenji Training
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    ZandeZ
    Exactly as it should be ! Happiness well deserved :grinning_face:
  • Training Questions

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    10k Views
    caseeno8C
    I think incorporating some crate training if none is being used will help. If you take him outside and he does not go potty, when you bring him back in, he must go in crate for about twenty minutes or so and not be allowed to roam or play. Then outside again to potty spot. If he does not go again repeat in crate for twenty minutes then out to potty spot and naturally praise like crazy when he does go. The idea is to get him to go potty when you want and where you want. I felt using the crate was extremely beneficial. Chris Battistelli
  • Training video

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    jonny b.J
    L O L that was FUNNY.
  • Recall training

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    I also have a Verizon air card USB - the video may use it all up. Also, instead of using the laptop with the air card, I used my home computer to call it up and found you have to subscribe to something in order to watch - it's my policy not to do that. So, even though the video may be great, you do have to sign up with something to do so.
  • Chet womach training methods

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    Thanks, they are both quite different approaches to each other but look interesting! I'll give one of them a go. Sheree
  • Clicker training

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    lvossL
    Edward, Positive reinforcement methods like clicker training work wonderfully with basenjis. All four of my basenjis are clicker trained. I guess you could even consider Sophie to have started before birth since I was clicker training her mom while she was pregnant with the litter. The purpose of the clicker is to mark the behavior that you want so you could also just use a word like "yes" or "Yay" or "good dog" followed by a treat. I use clicker training to train a variety of behaviors such as sit, down, attention, name response, stay, stand, go to mat, front, point, hand targeting, and the list goes on. I also use it in agility training.