Skip to content

Should I change his diet?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Now that Trouper has been tested as Probably Affected with Fanconi, should I be changing his diet? He is fed Royal Canin Medium Adult twice a day with 2 - 4 garlic/fenugreek tablets, some salmon oil and some hormonise liquid (to keep a calm household!) He also sometimes gets scrambled eggs, tinned meat, cooked chicken, fish biscuits etc etc.

  • Have you tried the frozen raw food? I've been using it for 2 months since I got my new tri. I just mix in some canned pumpkin for fiber and he does really well. I give him a raw egg (from organic free range chickens) too 1-2 times/week.

  • I used to supplement their food with frozen raw mince/lamb/beef etc but my supplier has stopped delivering to our area. It's hard to get hold of anything like that now without paying a fortune for human food in our supermarket.

  • @Benkura:

    I used to supplement their food with frozen raw mince/lamb/beef etc but my supplier has stopped delivering to our area. It's hard to get hold of anything like that now without paying a fortune for human food in our supermarket.

    I've made my own in the past. You can make a big batch and freeze it.

  • No need to change the diet… unless you want to.... if he is doing well on what you are giving him, I would continue with that.

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    19 Posts
    15k Views
    S
    For the record, I'm not claiming to know the cause or reason for the behavior. What I did was give a prescription; Irrespective of what the problem or issue is, increased exercise would probably be a healthy way to decrease anxiety (whether it's seasonal, mood-related, etc.). If a dog has anxiety (about anything for any reason) then their need for exercise goes up; this is required to healthily decrease stress. Whatever the cause for the anxiety, a simple and (usually) effective way to deal with it, is through increasing exercise time and/or mental enrichment time. This also holds true for dogs with pent-up energy/restlessness/boredom/reactivity/etc. The posts directed at me were deleted, so I can't reply to them. All the best.
  • Testicle size change

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    ZandeZ
    @tanza things have changed here, and not for the better. When I was first passed (by the Kennel Club) to give CCs the criteria was you must have had 100 dogs under you at open show level and have judged a club Open Show. Within a few years judges who had had less than 30 dogs under them in Opens were awarding CCs. Heaven alone knows what the criteria is now.
  • Malu's Diet and Potty Schedule

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    V
    @Kipawa: Kipawa doesn't seem to need lots of water either. It is there for him to drink, however, to make the night go more smoothly, I remove the water bowl around 8 p.m. He is just over 5 months now, and I can now just get up at 5:30 a.m. to let him pee. That is 6.5 hours of not needing to pee while everyone sleeps. I actually leave water in his crate overnight, because I was worried about him not drinking enough. He doesn't really use it and at 10 weeks, he is still sleeping through the night. I guess I just hope this continues.
  • 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    No one has replied
  • Change of fur color/ losing fur

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    DukeD
    I noticed that Daisy (a tri) is also having lighter colors streaked through parts of the black on her back and sides. This is her first whole year in life so this phenomenon is new to me too. Duke's black and white doesn't change, but I notice his shed is usually white.
  • Anal glands -vs- diet

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    9k Views
    luzmery928L
    oh no they only have it for walks. You kiding me they hate having them on even for a second more. I just don't like when they choke on the collar. I know it's not good that they are not leash trained but unfortunantly I take them out fot their walks for excercise and even then I'm rushing in the am beofre work so I really don't have the time to train them. Although when we do walk and they pull to hard and do pull them back and make them wait for a few seconds and continue the walk.