Looking for young R/W Male Pup in Chicago

• Our 13 year old, just past we loved him very much and want to replace him, with a purebreed pup or young adult.
    We looked at Brat but did not see one we liked. We can travel a few hundred miles to anyplace near Illinois. cubano39@yahoo.com🙂

• Houston

I would still contact BRAT and tell them what you are looking for, they have dogs getting ready for adoption on a weekly basis and very well might have one you would love in the works.

• If you like b/w basenjis, I know of a 7 month b/w male that is available near Chicago. He is a littermate of my puppy.

• If you are not in a hurry, Brat is a great way to go. They also have dogs that have not been posted yet as they are still being "watched" to find out about their personalities and quirks. so if you have a little time and wait, the perfect one is out there…. We just got one in january and another in May. it was WELL WORTH the wait. and the support is GREAT!!!!

• @Nemo:

If you like b/w basenjis, I know of a 7 month b/w male that is available near Chicago. He is a littermate of my puppy.

Oops, spoke too soon. Nick was just adopted out today.

If you don't have any luck with BRAT, I would also suggest emailing or calling some of the local breeders or any other breeders you are interested in. They may have some younger dogs available as well. You can get contact information at the BCOA website (www.basenji.org). Even if they don't, it would help you get some contacts regarding breeding plans for the upcoming fall and give you a headstart on your research.

Hope you find a pup right for your family!

• I see a couple new additions to the BRAT site. Check out Orange Crush in Kentucky. There are, unfortunately, new postings often.

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/default.htm

• There are also several dogs listed on The Basenji website. The economy is hitting everyone hard and many well bred dogs are looking for homes.

http://www.thebasenji.com/available/avail.html

• @barklessk9:

I see a couple new additions to the BRAT site. Check out Orange Crush in Kentucky. There are, unfortunately, new postings often.

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/default.htm

I shouldn't have clicked on Orange Crush. He's the perfect match for Kananga. Two non-dominant Basenjis. But I want to wait a bit longer before getting another Basenji. 😞

• Houston

I looked at him this morning as well, I like to surf the Brat site for fun..boy he is gorgeous..my little foster Bana is about to go "home" to her forever home. I am very excited and sad…it will be a good thing, though..One day I will gt one more B of my own..but I think I want a little princess..for my prince

• @Basenjimamma:

I looked at him this morning as well, I like to surf the Brat site for fun..boy he is gorgeous..my little foster Bana is about to go "home" to her forever home. I am very excited and sad…it will be a good thing, though..One day I will gt one more B of my own..but I think I want a little princess..for my prince

Personally I think you are smart to go with a girl when the time comes - there is better chance of success. There are folks who have pairs of same sex b's and it works - but I think that is the exception and not the rule. I've seen it not work (where 2 want to KILL each other) and it isn't pretty. IMHO, anyone contemplating getting multiples of the same sex needs to have a plan (before the dog comes home) on what they'll do if it doesn't work out.

So far I'm lucky with my 3 - but Liyah is still a pup. I hope that Ruby and Aaliyah will always be able to be together, but if not, I'll run 2 packs (I have extra rooms and extra land) and add another male so that each girl has a friend to run and play with. For me, returning a fur kid isn't something I'd ever do unless there was an extreme emergency (like death) so I'd rather make a plan before I go in and affect an animal's life - again IMHO.

• @renaultf1:

Personally I think you are smart to go with a girl when the time comes - there is better chance of success. There are folks who have pairs of same sex b's and it works - but I think that is the exception and not the rule. I've seen it not work (where 2 want to KILL each other) and it isn't pretty. IMHO, anyone contemplating getting multiples of the same sex needs to have a plan (before the dog comes home) on what they'll do if it doesn't work out.

So far I'm lucky with my 3 - but Liyah is still a pup. I hope that Ruby and Aaliyah will always be able to be together, but if not, I'll run 2 packs (I have extra rooms and extra land) and add another male so that each girl has a friend to run and play with. For me, returning a fur kid isn't something I'd ever do unless there was an extreme emergency (like death) so I'd rather make a plan before I go in and affect an animal's life - again IMHO.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't two non-dominate males get along? Or does that not necessarily matter?

• Not necessarily. I don't particularly care for the dominant and non-dominant labels because I think the leave a lot out about the dog. My mom has a male that would be described as "non-dominant" but he is a resource gaurder and that can cause problems in the house. The only reason it works is because her other male doesn't fight with him over stuff and when the other one has what is best described as a tantrum he literally sits on him until he calms down. Most would describe my mom's other male as "dominant" or "alpha" but he is also mellow and does not start fights.

• @Kananga:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't two non-dominate males get along? Or does that not necessarily matter?

Have you talked with Kananga's breeder - does she think that he could be paired with another male? In your case where he came from a responsible breeder and you haven't had him a year yet, she would know him best and would maybe be able to give you the best advice, I would think. Maybe she has another b that would be a good match for him.

• I hope BRAT has a b for you..there are so many that need homes now.

• @lvoss:

Not necessarily. I don't particularly care for the dominant and non-dominant labels because I think the leave a lot out about the dog. My mom has a male that would be described as "non-dominant" but he is a resource gaurder and that can cause problems in the house. The only reason it works is because her other male doesn't fight with him over stuff and when the other one has what is best described as a tantrum he literally sits on him until he calms down. Most would describe my mom's other male as "dominant" or "alpha" but he is also mellow and does not start fights.

Fair enough. I know Kananga is non-dominate for the most part. Although I do see what you're saying about it being too vague. I have observed him "stand his ground" on a few occasions. He's very submissive with me. I can wake him, pick him up, take his food away, etc. He will never growl or struggle. But around other dogs, if a dog tries to provoke a fight, he will defend himself 100%. Although he has never provoked a fight. Kind of strange really. First i've seen of this personality type. He can be spooked easily but he still remains confident. So I wonder how he'd do with another male basenji. He's always gotten along with other dogs (unless the other dog tries to attack him).

@renaultf1:

Have you talked with Kananga's breeder - does she think that he could be paired with another male? In your case where he came from a responsible breeder and you haven't had him a year yet, she would know him best and would maybe be able to give you the best advice, I would think. Maybe she has another b that would be a good match for him.

I'm not serious about getting another basenji quite yet, but I'd perhaps consider talking with his breeder when the time comes. His breeder is not 100% reputable, at least not on here (some might already know who I'm discussing), but the business practices I've encountered have been sufficiently ethical IMO. Although there is a slight concern (my only one) over health testing, they have made improvements in recent months to put more emphasis on testing (specifically Fanconi).

Regardless, I personally would rather get a rescue if I got another Basenji. I originally wanted to do that for my first one, but unfortunately most shelters (including BRAT) were a tad discriminative of condo owners. I think for a 2nd Basenji it won't be so much of an issue considering I'll fully understand the breed at that point (having one for a period of time). Again, something I've considered but I'd rather wait a bit longer to allow Kananga to feel comfortable in his home.

• @Kananga:

Regardless, I personally would rather get a rescue if I got another Basenji. I originally wanted to do that for my first one, but unfortunately most shelters (including BRAT) were a tad discriminative of condo owners. I think for a 2nd Basenji it won't be so much of an issue considering I'll fully understand the breed at that point (having one for a period of time). Again, something I've considered but I'd rather wait a bit longer to allow Kananga to feel comfortable in his home.

Another option is Breeder Golden Opportunity dogs like the ones listed on The Basenji webpage. You also get the benefit of having the breeder to support you as you transition your second basenji into your home and for the rest of its life.

• @lvoss:

Another option is Breeder Golden Opportunity dogs like the ones listed on The Basenji webpage. You also get the benefit of having the breeder to support you as you transition your second basenji into your home and for the rest of its life.

Thanks Ivoss. That is something I'll consider.

• You could also try America's Basenji Rescue.I know Keath who runs the rescue and he is wonderful.They do have several available right now.

America'sBasenjiRescue.org

Kathryn D. Ladick
    Jaroufa Hounds

Suggested Topics