Skip to content

Thyroid Testing…

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • I am/was about to get Saba's and Ochre's Thyroids tested, but, I was reading some documentation, possibly from the Apu site, (??), that it should be done approximately 100 days after their season. As you guys are aware, the southern hemisphere dogs are just coming out of their season, (thank dog :) !!!), now. Question is, should I wait a few months to get them tested ???

  • @saba:

    I am/was about to get Saba's and Ochre's Thyroids tested, but, I was reading some documentation, possibly from the Apu site, (??), that it should be done approximately 100 days after their season. As you guys are aware, the southern hemisphere dogs are just coming out of their season, (thank dog :) !!!), now. Question is, should I wait a few months to get them tested ???

    Yes, you should wait…

  • Who know you could have bitches like me…
    that come in 2x a year, so there never is an opportune time to test... as they never read the 6-months clockwork calendar!

  • Thanks once again Tanza ;).

    Again I will have to wait for this test to be done…

    Khani's, our dogs first birthday pressie was info on how to be a good doggie, and follow all the rules Mummy has laid down for them ;););)... I cant believe that they wont follow the manual...

Suggested Topics

  • Test Results

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Kathy, I sure didn't mean to indicate it isn't a godsend or fantastic! Of course it is. I just meant… well as the Arabs say, Trust in G-d but tie your camel. Get the testing, use it to help guide breeding, retest if necessary, but keep doing the strip test. It's an easy if annoying process that protects your dog against testing errors or human errors.
  • Thyroids

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    24k Views
    curlytailsC
    Right, but "not uncommon" is kind of evasive wording, if that's the official stance on the problem. Kind of like "It has been known to occur…" But Shiba breeders, by and large, aren't registering thyroid information with OFA, unless there's some mistake with the chart of statistics sorted by breed. MSU does have numbers which suggest that it's not common with Shibas, which I think makes it a low priority for Shiba breeders. But just from what I'm gathering anecdotally, it's definitely something worth looking into, especially for shibas with allergies, which a LOT of them are plagued with. I'm not a member of any breed clubs, so I can't say with authority if the stance on thyroids is changing. I think it's generally of low concern, at the moment, compared to hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, eyes -- which good breeders ARE testing for.
  • Tested today

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    @jinxed_1980: What is OFA? I hope this is a good thing you guys sound excited about it. :) And OFA is the place were all Fanconi test results are posted. Information on Fanconi is www.basenjihealth.org Anyone breeding needs to be testing their Basenjis "before" breeding….. there is no excuse to ever produce another Fanconi Affected pup
  • Test Results

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    18k Views
    RockysWomanR
    @etzbseder: Well, I got the results back yesterday, and they say that Medjai is "PROBABLY AFFECTED WITH FANCONI SYNDROME". So, now I get about one more year of little worry before I start strip testing and waiting for the inevitable. Hang in there. It is a tough road ahead. neither you nor your dog will understand the changes that can happen so suddenly… but know that it is not with malicious intent that they pee and pee and pee. There are so many supporting groups and people out there to help you and your B thru this. You can have a good life even with this sentence hanging over you. Best of luck. Enjoy your B as they are today... don't worry about tomorrow. I'll keep you and your Medjai in my thoughts.
  • Procedure for thyroid testing

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    QuercusQ
    OFA is a canine health database registery. Hips and other osteo problems were the first thing they started with…but now they do all kinds of other testing. Our Fanconi test is done through OFA. go here and check it out www.offa.org It is a wonderful resouce for all dog owners, not just breeders. If you are considering buying a basenji puppy, you should be checking here to confirm that the parents (at least one, preferably both) have been tested for Fanconi Syndrome/
  • What tests

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    6k Views
    2
    @jessi76: another vac I didn't see on your list is Lyme. Ask your vet about it IF tics are prevelant in your area. where I live, ALOT of dogs are coming down with Lyme disease (spread by deer tics), so I didn't even think twice about getting my dog the vaccine. although we keep him on a flea & tic preventative, the vaccine is another added precaution. like I said though, only if tics are an issue in your area. No, they don't seem to be a big deal here, the worst "pest" we have aside from fleas are chiggers or you may know of them as sand fleas. Thanks for you help.