Skip to content

I am ready to do the DNA test

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    I sent a message to the Fanconigroup today stating this and asked what the procedure was for joining the group. Jennifer
  • Test Results

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Kathy, I sure didn't mean to indicate it isn't a godsend or fantastic! Of course it is. I just meant… well as the Arabs say, Trust in G-d but tie your camel. Get the testing, use it to help guide breeding, retest if necessary, but keep doing the strip test. It's an easy if annoying process that protects your dog against testing errors or human errors.
  • When to test?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    @AC~Akeyla: I was wondering when we should have our 1 year old B's checked for Fanconi? For some reason I thought they had to be a certain age. And what is the best way to go about getting them tested? And you are most likely thinking of the urine test strips, which was the only way to detect Fanconi before the DNA Test that is now widely used. Since Fanconi is a late onset, usually it was recommended that Basenjis be strip test with urine test strips beginning no later then age 3 (and tested once a month, every month). If you have a Basenji that DNA tests for Affected, then you still will need to start testing them monthly no later then age 3.
  • When to test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    khanisK
    And chances are that your vet will tell you that there is no test. Just because it has been available for nearly two years does not mean that they know it is now here. You can do the fanconi tests without seeing a vet at all. Finger's crossed both your Bs come back NOT affected.
  • DNA Fanconi Test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    Ninabeana26N
    Yay! Glad for the positive results :)
  • Fanconi DNA Test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    red and white fureverR
    Thank-you for the link, tanza! I bookmarked it in my favorites.