Skip to content

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a basenji

Member Introductions
  • Hi, I'm really considering getting a Basenji and thought coming here would be a better was of understanding what these dog are all about. Reading info on the internet is definitely different than hearing experiances with all of you.

  • Hi luckytigger, Welcome to Basenji Forums!

    This is a great place to get advice and share your Basenji experiences.

    Feel free to post questions you have about this wonderful breed in our many forum topics. Please browse/search our forums first to make sure your questions have not already been answered.

    Enjoy!

  • Welcome Luckytigger… Happy to have you here

Suggested Topics

  • Hi, I'm Mack's Grandmom

    Member Introductions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    eeeefarmE
    @mack-s-grandmom said in Hi, I'm Mack's Grandmom: @mack-s-grandmom Also searching for a clicker for training. Difficult to find a good one. Thanks again for your help! You should be able to find a clicker at most pet stores, but in absence of one it's easy to use a marker word or a click from your tongue. The advantage of a physical clicker is that there is not intonation as there may be with the voice, so the sound is neutral, the disadvantage is that you need to have it in your hand, which isn't always convenient.
  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    When they are with their littermates and any adults, during play when they bite to hard, the one getting bite will scream at the biter… and adults will strongly correct... this is when they learn "soft" bite... so sounds like your Rocco did not get this... This happens if removed from the adults and/or other littermates too early... So as stated, all play stops... also, I suggest that if the bite is too hard, scream/yell very loud and then stop all play
  • 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    Buddys PalB
    what a cute little sh–--head! yep, your getting used to him! you'll be glad you got 'stuck'. REALLY!!!!!
  • No i'm not insane

    Member Introductions
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    14k Views
    3basenjis3
    a few pics of the kids added to photo album… i can't figure out how to add to the post. hummmm i'll work on that. as a side not Jasper was selected as a Demo dog for the Dog expo June 11-13 at Cal Expo.
  • I'm not the only Basenji owner?

    Member Introductions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    nala121498N
    Welcome! This is a fun site, whether he's mixed or not, to learn about the breed and have some fun too. They are unique!
  • Hi, I'm Amber

    Member Introductions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    7k Views
    tlbuddyT
    Welcome to the site. I have learned a lot about Basenjis from the site. tlbuddy