Skip to content

Fence fighting & redirected aggression

Behavioral Issues
  • My 7 yr. old B, Rocket, is a fence fighter. At home with the 2 shih tzu's next door he will race up and down the fence, hair raised, and attack the fence. If my female, Rumor, is helping, he will turn and snark at her too. At daycare, he bit one of the helpers when they were bringing a dog in. It is always when he is at the fenceline or on a leash that this occurs. What do I do when this happens?

Suggested Topics

  • Aggressive Behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    NemoN
    A way to do what Debra is suggesting in a game format is Crate Games, which you can get on DVD. You said this happens when you are getting ready to leave. Pay attention to exactly what you are doing before you leave and then see how your dog is reacting. You should be able to pick up on the cues that your dog is picking up on. You can try changing the pattern of how you get ready and potentially remove the cue to lessen the behavior until you can build the good associations others described. visit BCOA on Facebook. http://facebook.com/basenji.org
  • Aggressive Behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    20k Views
    srjeeperS
    @davcoz: there are some people that he just does not like. These people tend to be the type that make my wife and I uneasy. Any ideas about this? **If these folks make you and your wife uneasy. Then why wouldn't you expect the same reaction from your B? He's lettin everybody know what he's feelin and your not sayin! :rolleyes:**
  • Fear Aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    kdubs518K
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but she is definitely worth it. I'd do anything for my best friend! Oh! I think we're having some progress with her. My neighbor's granddaughter is staying the week. The first few days Pippin would bark at her anytime she got near the fence. I had the girl just sit at the fence and I would treat Pip every time she looked at the girl or walked near the fence. Eventually I had Pip eating treats out of her hand!!! (I told the girl not to try to give her treats or pet her unless I'm outside, of course. Just in case Pippin would get spooked.) But I'm super excited about this progress!
  • Vet aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    9k Views
    MacPackM
    Take a small rubber backed rug, like a bathroom rug, to put on the metal table, then it won't slip and he will have good footing, and the smell of home to comfort him. Combined with all of the above positive reinforcement and lots of 'drop in' vet visits. Anne in Tampa
  • Aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    And sometimes you have to "push" and/or demand for the complete test that is not usually done by the labs that your Vet might use…
  • Help with aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    L
    Some basenjis seem to have particular kinds of dogs they don't like. My Abbey is best friends with a rottweiller, a black lab, and a dalmation, but she hates golden retrievers! What do they go by, coat color?? She goes after anything that moves at the vet's though. My first basenji many years ago, Pumpkin, climbed trees to get after squirrels, and fences were no problem either.