Royal Canin Early Cardiac prescription food

• Does anyone out there have experience with or knowledge of this prescription food? Our cardiologist just suggested this for the basenji we just rescued. She's been diagnosed with Pulmonic Valvular Stenosis and we inquired about a diet recommendation. Actually, what I had hoped for was some guidance in terms of what to look for - high in x, low in y, none of z. Instead I got a recommendation to put her on this prescription diet, and I was unable to get additional information including an indication of whether this food will make any significant difference to her prognosis.

I'll do some research and compare the nutritional analysis of this food to some others, but I'd love some information from anyone who has experience with this. On the other hand, I'm hoping no one else has had to deal with this issue in their basenji…

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

• The product website gives information about what nutrients it uses and why they are supposed to be important for cardiac disease.

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/productdetail.aspx?ID=67

• Right now there is not enough basenjis in the OFA database for our breed to have statistics published.

You may want to consider submitting an application for your girl, http://offa.org/cardappbw.pdf There is no charge for Affected dogs. It would help the breeding community get statistics so we know if it is a problem that we need to start checking for more regularly. You can choose to make the results public so others with related dogs know or to keep the results private but the data would be used to update the statistcs that we get on the breed overall.

• Sorry to be so long in thanking you Ivoss. As you can imagine, I'm spending lots of time reading about this condition and treatment/diet options. Your help is much appreciated.

• Here's some nutritional information as well if that helps:

Ingredients:
    Rice, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat, rice gluten, chicken meal, cellulose powder, natural flavors, potassium chloride, fish oil, choline chloride, arginine, calcium carbonate, salt, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], L-carnitine, trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (min) 22%
    Crude Fat (min) 14%
    Crude Fiber (max) 5.6%
    Moisture (max) 10.5%

• Thanks Wizard. From what I've read, the formula contains specific things that are meant to improve heart function in cases where the problem is less severe than the one we're dealing with. While it may not be the miracle we'd like to find, if it will give us more time with our sweet girl, I'm all for it. I've completely lost my heart to her in just a few weeks and I'm going to do all I can to keep her here and healthy for as long as possible.

One concern I have is that the calorie count is low and the recommendation for her weight is 2.25 cups per day - that's a cup more than she's eating now. I'll have to monitor her weight carefully and watch for any weight loss. She's not an active girl, but I would like to put a bit of weight on her and I certainly don't want her to lose any.

• I don't go by the bag recommendations, they usually aren't correct for most dogs, usually too much sometimes too little but rarely correct. Keep an eye on her and feed according to how she looks. If she is looking a bit thin add more if she is putting on weight cut back.

• I agree with Lvoss - those are recommendations only you have to go by your breed, your dog. I fed my previous basenji a different version of Royal Canin and found I had to decrease the recommendation almost by half - he gained weight pretty quickly on it. So try it and make adjustments as necessary.

• Thanks to you both, Ivoss and Wizard. This isn't my first basenji, but it's my first time with health issues like this. Ivy just came to me the weekend before Thanksgiving and she's a treasure - the sweetest little lady ever. I want to do the best I can by her and I want her to be with me for many years to come, despite the cardiologist's bleak prognosis.

Suggested Topics