Operah doing a show on puppymills

• From another groups postings

Hi everyone….we see so many sad emails...this one is good.:)

A few weeks ago I ran a 5K in the city near Oprah's studio and noticed that some group had funded a HUGE billboard begging Oprah to do a show on puppy mills. (you could not miss this billboard. I wanted to shout with joy when I saw it and thought, she CAN'T ignore this.)

Looks like she taped a show on the topic...I got an email from a woman who attended the taping of the show. The Oprah show regarding Puppy Mills will air on Tuesday April 8th!

Keep up the good work everyone! Let's hope having Oprah on board gets people to stop buying from puppy mills so we can put them out of business for good!

Trish Hartke

Please share this info with all your pet loving friends.

• Thanks for the info, however.. if like her other shows on dogs and breeding..etc… yet to be seen how they cover or NOT, responsible breeders.
    She did a show on "designer" dogs and never had the other "point of view" to interact or offer reasons that designer dogs are NOT good things....

• Oh, Pat, I am hopeful it is a well rounded show.
    If it educates the general public and doesn't slam the good breeders, it will be very good indeed.
    Guess we will have to watch and send in our feedback, try to make the show
    balanced…if its not...

• DATE changed on the Puppymill show, its the 4th of April.

My friend writes…

I am happy to say that Bill Smith of Mainline Rescue in PA has done it again. Remember Bill is who started putting up the billboards in PA. Looks like his latest Billboard did a lot more than the ones in PA ever did.

I only wonder if the eyes of the world on the horrors inside the PA mills will make a difference to the dogs in PA.

I notice he is also talking about the euthanasia rate in the shelters, which we know is a direct result of the breeding and breeding of mill dogs.

Mark your calendar and if you aren't able to watch it, perhaps TIVO or record it.

Well, the cat is out of the bag, or should I say the dog is
    out of the hutch! Main Line Animal Rescue is going to be
    on Oprah this Friday, April 4. The show will address
    euthanasia in our nation's shelters, and the inhumane
    treatment facing dogs in Pennsylvania's puppy mills. In
    preparation for the later, MLAR went undercover with
    Special Investigator Lisa Ling and members of Oprah's
    production staff. We filmed the day to day horrors of
    actual puppy mills and you can watch as we rescue a number
    of the dogs we currently have at our shelter.

As volunteers at MLAR, you should be proud to play such an
    important part in the education of millions of people. It
    is you, my friends, who will care for the dogs featured on
    the program. Rehabilitating them. Caring for them.
    Helping them to find the families they deserve.

Thank you for all that you do. And make sure you tell your
    friends and families to watch this very important Oprah.

Bill Smith

• The puppy mills are a big problem in central PA, and even Ohio. I was so surprised when I learned that there are many Amish puppy mills.

It hurts my heart to think of the life that my Jack would have led, if not rescued…..the life that many of his sisters and brothers I am sure are living.

Dude- Oprah, shut 'em down!

• @Robin_n_Jack:

The puppy mills are a big problem in central PA, and even Ohio. I was so surprised when I learned that there are many Amish puppy mills.

It hurts my heart to think of the life that my Jack would have led, if not rescued…..the life that many of his sisters and brothers I am sure are living.

Dude- Oprah, shut 'em down!

For sure the biggest puppy mills around are from the Amish. And make no mistake.. the more that are purchased from pet stores the more that PM's will breed Basenjis…

All of this is moot of course once you take you pup home.. but everyone should be trying to educate people NOT to buy from a pet store.. ever.. regardless of how sad the situation... one sale.. more puppies bred

• I hope you all watch or tape the show on fri.
    I also hope you tell your relatives and friends who love animals or are thinking of getting an animal about this show.
    Education is the key.

• Just a reminder to set your tape players so you can watch the Oprah show
    on fri.
    I am hopeful it will inform the public on the puppymills in this country.

• Oprah takes aim at Pa. puppy mills

April 3, 2008

By Amy Worden
    Inquirer Staff Writer

http://tinyurl.com/2p49pu

A billboard put up near Oprah Winfrey's studios in Chicago by a local puppy-mill activist. She's now doing a show on the issue. Chase Fancher / For The Inquirer

When Bill Smith puts up a billboard, people notice.

His biting ads lambasting the puppy mills of Lancaster County - one features a beagle in a dishwasher to show how small the legal cage size is - have been fixtures on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for three years.
    Frustrated that conditions for thousands of breeding dogs in the state's commercial kennels had not improved despite Gov. Rendell's 2006 pledge to clean up substandard kennels, Smith, the Chester Springs animal welfare advocate, brought his campaign to Chicago, to the doorstep of Oprah Winfrey.

"I thought, 'Who could reach more people than any other person on the planet?' " said Smith, founder of Main Line Animal Rescue. His shelter takes in about 500 puppy-mill castoffs a year: the breeding dogs, often riddled with health and behavioral problems, and the puppies that are too old or too sick to sell.

In February the billboard, with a plaintive puppy face and a polite request to Winfrey to do a show on puppy mills, was posted on bustling Kennedy Boulevard, four blocks from Winfrey's Harpo Studios. Main Line board member Marsha Perelman donated $10,000 to rent the billboard space for a month.

They didn't need a month to convince the nation's number-one talk show host and a dog lover herself. A week later, Smith said, producers called and told him they were planning to devote a show to abuses in puppy mills.

"I was grateful," said Smith after receiving the call. "I knew if she did a show on this it would help a lot of animals."

The show, which airs tomorrow (4 p.m., 6ABC), includes graphic undercover footage of Lancaster County kennels, along with related segments on dog auctions and the high rates of euthanasia in shelters. Smith is the featured guest.

Smith spent two days last month with Oprah correspondent Lisa Ling traveling to kennels and pet shops in Southeastern Pennsylvania to show the relationship between the puppies sold in pet stores and, as Ling said, "the horrific conditions" in many large kennels.

"People will see the connection between pet stores and they will meet the puppies' mothers in their rabbit hutches," said Smith. "It's really upsetting."

They toured a number of mills and saw cages stacked to the ceiling in sheds. They saw 15 or 20 small dogs stuffed in rabbit hutches. They watched kennel operators dragging dogs by their front legs. They left with 19 dogs, suffering from severe dental disease, and a very sick puppy, which later died in a veterinary hospital.

Rendell, who has adopted puppy-mill dogs, beefed up inspections in the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement and hired additional dog wardens, but his effort to toughen regulations stalled last year over opposition from breeders, farmers and sportsmen.

Rendell's spokesman, Chuck Ardo, said the governor would introduce a revamped legislative package in the next few weeks. "The governor's affection toward dogs is well-known," said Ardo. "He will be visible in promoting this legislation."

Smith said the show has the potential to have greater impact than any legislative or regulatory changes.

"It still comes down to consumers buying puppies from pet stores," he said.

Meanwhile, Smith already has one new convert.

"I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it," Winfrey said in a statement released yesterday. "I am a changed woman after seeing this show."

She is dedicating the show to her cocker spaniel Sophie, who died last month.

Contact staff writer Amy Worden at 717-783-2584 or aworden@phillynews.com

• I set my TiVo to record it 🙂 I hope she shows just how poorly the pups in those mills are treated & directly links it to the petstore puppies.

• While it is great that they are doing this show… the fact that it is NOT balanced with responsible breeders, IMO is a shame.....

• @tanza:

While it is great that they are doing this show… the fact that it is NOT balanced with responsible breeders, IMO is a shame.....

I agree. I think it is wrong to say that if people want a dog they should only ever go to a shelter & it seems that may kind of be what they say on the show. I guess we'll all have to watch & see.

• This is so Awesome!!! Go Oprah! Education is the key.

• Maybe, if the show isn't balanced re responsible breeders, vs puppymill or byb then we all should share our views.
    Having more than one show would be good, imo.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Maybe, if the show isn't balanced re responsible breeders, vs puppymill or byb then we all should share our views.
    Having more than one show would be good, imo.

People should write in and request a show with responsible breeders… heck... get "UNO"... the Westminster Beagle with David... they will talk about responsible breeders!

• I am all for it. The more discussion we can do re responsible breeding the better.
    I am shocked at in this day and age, folks think its ok to "breed" just any old dog…why, because they have one and they CAN!
    But back to Oprah...
    I am distressed however that even tho the show hasn't aired, folks are going off on it not being balanced.
    I mean, it very well could be slanted with anyone breeding painted as a villian.
    But until we see it...well, it does seem to be a bit premature..

• @sharronhurlbut:

I am all for it. The more discussion we can do re responsible breeding the better.
    I am shocked at in this day and age, folks think its ok to "breed" just any old dog…why, because they have one and they CAN!
    But back to Oprah...
    I am distressed however that even tho the show hasn't aired, folks are going off on it not being balanced.
    I mean, it very well could be slanted with anyone breeding painted as a villian.
    But until we see it...well, it does seem to be a bit premature..

That is true, however, she is already being quoted as saying that she will never "buy" another dog… and that is a direct hit to responsible breeders.. making a blanket statement

• If that is the case, then it is something that SHOULD be addressed.
    IMO, if it wasn't for responsible breeders doing all they could to get our b's to be of good temperment..
    and now working on the health angle to get them to be as longed lived as they could be..
    Well, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my 2 beloved dogs.
    While other rescue groups have breeders who bring the breed down IMO german shepards, who can't even walk! again IMO
    My breed is one that has folks who are looking to the future for the dogs and the families they place the dogs into.
    Yea, I know, sounds like I am sucking up..and some folks have said that to me.
    BUT really…without good breeders...where would our dogs be???

• It's on today. I saw previews of it yesterday while watching Oprah (the preganant man :rolleyes:) and honestly I don't think I can sit through it 😞 Just watching the clips I was already in tears. DH took the remote & told me…who are you kidding? You can't handle that 😕

• Okay seriously…that one guy had wheels for his dogs to "get exercise". They are dogs not gerbils!!! OMG I was balling while watching those poor puppies/dogs dying to get out of those tiny little cages.

The one thing so far that I don't like about this episode is how they keep calling the puppy mill owners "breeders". I don't think that goes over well for individuals who decide to go buy a dog since they are now relating puppymills to breeders. Although they did have that AKC statement about responsible breeders...

Suggested Topics