• Hi, my name is Maranda. My boyfriend and I just rescued an 8 week old female basenji mix we named Thora from a local Palm Springs shelter. We already had one dog, a 3 year old pit bull mix named Kali and actually, we got Thora as a playmate for her. Thora was such a sweet, calm puppy when we found her that we couldn't resist. We brought her home and then found out she was really sick (she had coccidia and horrible worms). After a couple weeks of treatment that cute, calm little puppy has turned into a hyper little tornado! I have read just about everything I can get my hands on about basenji's but I still have a lot of questions. I am really glad I found this site it seems to be very helpful!

• Hi Maranda - Welcome aboard the Basenji Forum. I'm so glad I found this site too. Sounds like my rescued puppy too. He was pretty sick when we brought him home, but then he became well and awoke with all his Basenji!! Only I thought Duke was a mutt and guessed he may have been a Border-Jack mix. I actually wanted to find him another home after the 2nd & 3rd week because as you describe and in my eyes he was just "evil". But my son wouldn't have it and we stuck it out. After the baby teeth were finally gone, things got better. Make sure he has plenty of toys - soft ones and chewy ones for his enjoyment and teething needs. By the way, I found out his breeds identity 4 months later, and then found this site. He's almost 8 mos old and we have a way to go.

All the best!

• Thanks Jill! I am glad that I am not the only one going through this. I have plenty of chew toys for Thora, but I think her favorite one is my other dog Kali! The poor thing is 3 times Thora's size but she is covered with bite marks and scratchs. The crazy thing is though, Kali would be the one that would be upset if we got rid of her, they already have a strong bond. I just wish she would pay a little more attention to us humans! Anyway, thanks for the advice and good luck with your pup too!

maranda

• I love to see when people take dogs in from the shelters/rescues. Kudos to you and I'm glad you are giving her a chance and such a loving home with a great pup pal!

I am totally for Pitties! Pitties are a breed that are misunderstood and Basenjis can be as well.

If you have any questions, just ask and we all would love to help you out! 🙂

• I am glad to hear of your rescued pup. Sounds like the little one had a rough start in life, but things are going to be better now that you have her. I adopted my basenji mix from a local shelter and am so pleased to know I saved a life AND got a new best friend in the process.

• Hello,
    I also rescued my Basenji from a shelter and I named her Cali. Welcome to the board and I am sure you will find a lot of useful information.
    tlbuddy:)

Suggested Topics