Skip to content

Dog Whisperer

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Advice on keeping dog in yard

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    K
    Depends on the dogs. We have 2 athletic B's but they wouldn't dream of jumping our 3 ft. fence. They just don't. And they don't want to be in the garden if we're not with them. Silly beasts.
  • What to put my dog into???

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    lisastewartL
    Google Gazehounds in TX. They do straight and oval racing in the Mckinney, TX area. We come down occasionally for their NOTRA meets. They are having an oval race this weekend if you would like to atttend and watch I can send you directions. We will not be there this time as I'm having surgery Monday and need to take a couple weeks off. Where in TX is Pearland? We do lure coursing in Hutto, Waller and Cat Springs, but the season is at and end now. Will pick up again at the end of Sept which would be a good time for your girl to try some practice runs. There are lots of nice non basenji people in the clubs who will help you train her. Get a good recall on her now, puppy training classes would help for that.
  • Old dog peeing in house

    Basenji Training
    25
    0 Votes
    25 Posts
    14k Views
    BarklessdogB
    He has a wheat/ beef/salmon/duck allergy and his tummy gets upset & bubbly. He can only eat his food no treats. So goes where he is starving to not wanting to eat. He has had this most of his life. He has been doing well on the Blue Buffalo Lamb & rice, but manages to leave the life bits. I can feed him a handful of food and out come the life bits, that our other dog Hoover vacuums up.
  • Growling at Other Dogs

    Basenji Training
    25
    0 Votes
    25 Posts
    19k Views
    Z
    If I tried to pick up Sam and carry him away from a fight he would have a go at me. When he is worked up and I've tried to get him away he has bitten me. In every other respect he is a wonderful dog whom I love v much. I find it interesting that I haven't come across any other basenjis in this forum as aggressive as mine. Sam doesn't just growl or snap at other male dogs he actively pushes them and tries to goad them into fighting. I'm beginning to think that Sam is a particularly 'rambunctious' pup?
  • Dog whisperer???

    Basenji Training
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    32k Views
    myranM
    I agree i´ve used those methods on all my dog´s(long before Cesar came along) not only the basenji and never has a dog questioned my leadership.But I always praise and i´ve never used force never had the need for it so there i´m different.These methods are common methods with working dog´s I used to have a Boxer and i´ve just adjusted certain parts of it to fit the Basenji ;) Many of the dog´s in that show are just left to "run wild" no training or excercise and instead lot´s of silly things with people who humanize their dog´s.And they looked surprised if they need to take walks jeez I take mine out 4-5 times a day and two of the walks are 6 miles and he he plays with other dog´s every single day to keep him socialized as he´s growing into adulthood.I also show train him every day not more then 10-15 minutes just to keep it fresh in his mind. What people tend to forget obedience training is something that you have to keep doing continuously as their memory is not like ours so you have to keep it fresh in the mind. I probably stated the obvious but I do agree with Jazzys mum:)
  • Agggggressive at the Dog Park

    Basenji Training
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    jys1011J
    Lenora-how do you keep her on leash while she plays?? Just curious to see if this might work for us. thanks for the info!