• Hey yall…new to the site!! I am a 22 year old basenji mom from Birmingham, AL. My basenji boy is named Jigsaw, Jig or Jiggy for short, and is a little over one and a half years old. He was flown here from my hometown in northern California. I don't know any other basenji owners (besides his breeders), they don't seem too popular in the south. Anywho, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself!!!

• @skem_n_jig:

Hey yall…new to the site!! I am a 22 year old basenji mom from Birmingham, AL. My basenji boy is named Jigsaw, Jig or Jiggy for short, and is a little over one and a half years old. He was flown here from my hometown in northern California. I don't know any other basenji owners (besides his breeders), they don't seem too popular in the south. Anywho, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself!!!

Hi skem_n_jig. I'm located 2 1/2 hours east of you near Atlanta, GA. I don't know many Basenjis in Alabama but Georgia has quite a few. Bear in mind that the AKC registers under 1500 Basenjis per years so you will never see as many of them as you do popular breeds like Labs, Goldens, Chihuahuas, etc. Welcome to the boards. 🙂

• Hello to the new basenji owner from Birmingham! I live in Highland Park, so you are not alone. I got Abbey two years ago from some people in Morris who have the parents. She is actually not the first basenji I've had. We got Pumpkin in 1970 from the humane society here in Birmingham for $3 dollars!! Pumpkin was the color of a pumpkin. I didn't know basenjis came in black and white til I saw Abbey. The original owners had four puppies and for some reason she didn't sell till she was four months old. Basenjis here are rare, and that's part of the joy of owning one. People stop me all the time in the street and say, that's the most beautiful basenji I have ever seen! And people who don't know what she is make all kinds of guesses–a jack russell terrier is the most frequent guess. One man yesterday said is that a short haired collie (I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing). And everybody who doesn't know about basenjis is fascinated to hear about them.

• @Lenora:

Hello to the new basenji owner from Birmingham! I live in Highland Park, so you are not alone. I got Abbey two years ago from some people in Morris who have the parents. She is actually not the first basenji I've had. We got Pumpkin in 1970 from the humane society here in Birmingham for $3 dollars!! Pumpkin was the color of a pumpkin. I didn't know basenjis came in black and white til I saw Abbey. The original owners had four puppies and for some reason she didn't sell till she was four months old. Basenjis here are rare, and that's part of the joy of owning one. People stop me all the time in the street and say, that's the most beautiful basenji I have ever seen! And people who don't know what she is make all kinds of guesses–a jack russell terrier is the most frequent guess. One man yesterday said is that a short haired collie (I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing). And everybody who doesn't know about basenjis is fascinated to hear about them.

yes when jig and i are out and about or even at the vet, we are always stopped because people are like what kind of dog is that. he is so pretty. of course jig is quite the flirt and loves the attention and putting on a show. glad to know im not the only one around these parts! im down 280, passes brook highlands, greystone i guess you would call it!

Suggested Topics