• Hello;

I'm hoping to find some help in regard to finding a Basenji Puppy.

I'm based just outside of Newcastle in the UK. I live with my wife and two children (5 & 10). We've been considering getting a family dog for some time and after researching, we feel we'd make an ideal home for a Basenji.

I understand that litters are usually once per year, around winter; I've also read much about waiting lists, with Basenjis being a fairly uncommon breed in the UK.

We're not looking to rush into this and would be happy to wait and buy from a reputable breeder; I was hoping someone may be able to point us in the direction of said reputable breeders, so if it's necessary, we could start to apply to be on a waiting list.

Appreciate any help anyone might offer.

Thanks

Matt

• Hi Matt, you can join Northern Basenji Society and Basenji Club of Great Britain on Facebook; plenty of reputable breeders there.

@Zande Can also Help you; she also has a website full of useful articles.

http://www.zandebasenjis.com/inform.htm

• @matt_dl I was about to tell you to contact Northern Basenji Society - they have a website, but @Micah got there first ! And do read my put-off. Basenjis are fine around children but the children must be taught to respect the Basenji. Parents must be prepared to side with the dog against the kids at need !

• @micah said in LF Basenji Puppy - UK:

Hi Matt, you can join Northern Basenji Society and Basenji Club of Great Britain on Facebook; plenty of reputable breeders there.

@Zande Can also Help you; she also a website full of useful articles.

http://www.zandebasenjis.com/inform.htm

Thanks Micah, I'll reach out to them.

• @zande said in LF Basenji Puppy - UK:

@matt_dl I was about to tell you to contact Northern Basenji Society - they have a website, but @Micah got there first ! And do read my put-off. Basenjis are fine around children but the children must be taught to respect the Basenji. Parents must be prepared to side with the dog against the kids at need !

Thanks Zande.

Your site is a great source of information.

Both my daughters are sensible types and they've been around dogs owned by other family members, so they've been taught how to interact with a dog responsibly. I'd certainly have no qualms about telling them off for doing anything they shouldn't.

• @matt_dl That is good to hear ! I think there are puppies in the North of UK. The demand last year meant some people bred imported dogs to get on the band wagon, maybe. Anyway there are many first time breeders with possible un-health tested breeding pairs. Do make sure the parents are health test by OFA for Fanconi and PRA at the very least. And that they are registered with our Kennel Club.

Suggested Topics