Skip to content

proteinuria

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Robin, who will be 13 in January, has proteinuria. Vet suggested feeding him vegetables in addition to his usual diet. He's always liked vegetables so I thought this would not be a problem but being lazy I didn't want to go through extensive preparation. Frozen bag (family size) of broccoli florets, pick one or two out of the bag and just put them in with his regular food and you would thing it's the best treat I've ever given him. He just takes the florets out and chows down on them. The diet seems to work and I hope this helps with others who might have the same issues.

  • For veggies I use raw broccoli and cauliflower in the bags, steam them in our steamer and it is enough for the 2 for 4 or more days mixed with their regular kibble. Mine prefer steamed rather than frozen, that said they love frozen french fries...LOL

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    286 Views
    N
    No sore spots whatsoever - though his stomach is almost permanently "taut" or flexed, unless he's had his anti-inflammatory meds. He eats well and can go to the bathroom well, but as days pass his hind legs are getting worse and worse (to the extent I'm sure he'll just end up permanently lame if I don't anything more). I am praying/hoping/wishing that laser therapy can provide some assistance, as his one session of a few weeks back resulted in him being almost "back to normal" for about 4-5 days! If I can get another miracle result, I think I will look into multiple treatments until he seems better. This is such a stressful time, but I'm grateful for your condolences/suggestions - everything helps - thank you so much!
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    26k Views
    N
    @Saving Thanks so much for the information! I am researching further and continuing with her rehab exercises as best I can. Glad you recovered from your spinal injuries.
  • Belly Rash

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    24k Views
    SavingS
    Did she always have them or did they start after something/some time? Do antihistamines clear the problem?
  • Crystals in urine (cystine)

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    13k Views
    senjisillyS
    Sorry to be so late on commenting here. There are several Facebook groups you may want to join. 2 are Basenji specific. Bladder Stones Basenji - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1505737939475808/ Canine Cystinuria - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1264949876904169/ The third group is secret and you need to be Facebook friends with a member in order to join. Contact me if you are interested in joining - Basenji Cystine Bladder Stone Awareness.
  • Harness Bold Spot

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    V
    thank you everyone! The collar is ordered :-)
  • Spay Early or Spay Later

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    22k Views
    senjisillyS
    @mryltis Read this comment from @morgansc within this post dated May 30, 2019, 7:49 AM. It answers your question. Ideally it is best to wait until age 24 months but no early than 18 months. https://basenjiforums.com/post/177284