Skip to content

New to the basenji breed

Member Introductions
  • Hello, my melly is a tricolor basenji Sheppard mix. She is adorable. I didn't know about the breed till recently when we got the DNA results. I was wondering if any one could tell me about the ears. Mellys ears stand up except the tip unless she is watching the door they go straight up. She has the yodle and is very vocal when she plays. We have her crate trained and she picks up things very easily. Is there any advice someone would give to a person who had adopted a highly energetic diff sick as a basenji mix?

  • Welcome. Would love to see pictures! How old is Melly? If young, the ears may eventually become erect all the time.
    With any dog with high energy, you need to give them physical and mental stimulation. Doing a lot of obedience and lots of exercise will help.

  • She is very smart and listens very well. !! I'll try to post photos when I get more. Still figuring out the settings

  • Welcome to the breed, super cool how you learned from a DNA test! My purebred ears have been fully up since we picked him up, maybe due to the mix?

  • @melly said in New to the basenji breed:

    She is very smart and listens very well. !! I'll try to post photos when I get more. Still figuring out the settings

    If you click on the last symbol, the up arrow, you then choose a photo from your computer and it will post it.

Suggested Topics

  • New here and new to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • New to Forum/New to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    MacPackM
    Welcome and congratulations! I have two BRATS myself, and a third basenji as well. So beware, they ARE like potato chips (You can't have just one) I love her name, she is gorgeous. Can't wait to hear all about her Homecoming!
  • New Basenji Lover!

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    S
    Thanks again for all of your advice. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who is dealing with such a strong willed animal. He is currently laying on the floor chewing on a nylabone as is my golden "Levi". I can't say it often enough "I LOVE NYLABONES!" Well, now he is in my lap chewing his nylabone because Levi thinks that if Taz is chewing on it, it has to be better than the one he has. LOL
  • New Basenji, FL

    Member Introductions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    P
    Welcome to the forum. I think Lark is a lovely name. Whatever she is you love her so it doesn't really matter. She looks a very interesting mix. She obviously needs quite a bit of attention given to her training. Lots of dogs don't get on with cats but with Basenjis it's easier when they grow up with them - it'll probably be harder work at Lark's age. Work especially hard on stopping the nipping as somebody could get hurt. Try to make sure you don't get her over excited - be calm around her and she'll learn to be calm around you.
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Welcome Adam and Tenji to our Basenji community. We are due to get our Pup next Sat.
  • New member wanting to meet new basenji people

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    RivermoonR
    HI…welcome! I also have a Rocket Socks kid!!!