Skip to content

Senior basenji diet supplements to gain weight

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Chance is 11 and Kiya is 10 and both have been thinning out lately. I understand that comes with age. We started giving them more food in the middle of the day, as they seemed to be always hungry from the morning and night feeding.

    Are there any other good foods or supplements that are good to give to senior basenjis to fatten them up a bit. Their appetite is not an issue, if they could, they would be eating all day long until their stomach explodes.

  • Alex, sometimes it's a matter of not digesting... could be age, worms or teeth issues (though teeth usually more an equine than canine problem as dog don't really chew much). If you know worms aren't a problem, and not other problems such as cancer or thyroid, then I'd work on the digestion side. Probiotics, plus easier to digest foods. As I posted before, I do use Fastrack. There are foods that are made to digest easier, but you can also simply smash and soak to help also.

Suggested Topics

  • Age of your basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    42
    2 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Yeah you told me about that before and I'm clueless, but I'll try it if I need to, lol. could be the noise of occasional thump, could be they can hear it even tho we can't. My chow would be drooling buckets before we got a mile away. I just had to keep towels down and take off and bag along the trip. But I took her for a 7 hr trip to atlanta and she threw up and threw up, then stopped. Never threw up again. :( on your back. I had been getting radiofrequency ablations in the US, and they really helped. But doctors here will only do them once or twice. I have had at least 6 on one side, 3 on the other. :( But it's miraculous pain relief when it is done right. Maybe your dog acupuncturists knows of a human one they'd recommend?
  • Carsick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    eeeefarmE
    My first girl got carsick. I used Dramamine (Gravol) for her. Luckily she outgrew the problem, because every time I had to pill her the neighbours thought I was killing her. She screamed her head off! (and of course spit out the pill). She did best riding loose in the back seat. That was in the '60s, and we didn't worry about such things…...
  • Basenji skirts

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    Kipawa's skirt - it isn't big, but I actually love running my fingers over it. :)
  • Is it a Basenji???

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    11k Views
    MandyM
    I have gotten the comment of min doberman. lol…. could have been her spiked Harley collar.
  • Do Basenjis shed?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    16k Views
    MantisM
    shedding will change dramatically depending on the food….
  • Sneezy Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    6k Views
    J
    Joey sneezes a lot, but I don't think he has allergies. I think it is all the dust in our house. I hate to clean!! :D