• A concern I have is that since the Basenji chases critters, has anyone had problems with them confronting a racoon or any other dangerous animal? Even skunks. We have an invisible fence and electronic dog collar on Duke. He has full charge of our wooded yard. I don't want to fence the 1/2 acre yard - too expensive. Maybe we should put up a kennel for him to be safe. I notice the wild animals in our yard in the fall, gathering and eating up the nuts, (usually racoons at night and skunks in the early morning hours.) I'm curious to know if anyone has had any problems with their Basenji fighting with a dangerous critter.

• My advice is to keep him in with you unless he is doing his business.
    I don't care much for these type of "non" fence barriers.
    Your dog is at risk, and can't flee from the critter who can approch and hurt him.
    If you must put your dog in the yard for extended times, do get a kennel where your dog would be protected.
    That would be my advice.

• I agree with Sharron's advice.

• Because we live in the city our guys don't have to opportunity to have fun with "critters" thankfully! However we do go visit my father in Northern Maine a couple of times a year. During the last visit, my little sid-ling found a dead porcupine. My dad had shot it two days before and forgot about it….till sid came smiling with quills in his mouth. He kept wanting to go back to the damn thing, so my dad brought out the backhoe and dug a big hole and burried it. Sid was furious running around the area he found the porcupine wanting to play with it some more, He had been dragging it around and shaking it bleh luckily it was two days old, and he only got 5 quills! I just figured I'd share my adventures with a nasty nighttime critter.

• Pets are trapped in a fenced yard too. Racoons climb over fences. They live in trees. They're just not as fast as squirrels. Basenji's are almost as fast as squirrels. I worried about how to contain our puppy. Before deciding on how, we'd visited a couple of family homes with fenced yards. In the blink of an eye, Duke zipped under the fences and had a good time with us chasing him. He also likes digging - so I figured the invisible fence with its affordablility was our best choice. No digging under that fence! He knows his boundries. Duke's a basic house dog. He's with us when we're out or in doors. I'm curious to know if anyone had dealt with their Basenji in a dangerous confrontation, meaning the B'ji approaching to hurt the critter, not knowing the volatility facing him. Would they obey your commands to "come" or "stay" or do they instictively chase turning a deaf ear? Also, does the chasing calm or cease when they mature? If so, at about what age? A Labrador will chase, but will obey their "masters." We'll get a kennel for late night/early morning business. Fall is the month I'm concerned most about when nuts fall from the trees.

• We have three fenced yards; one is a half acre of partially forested land, which backs up to additional native space and pond, lots of critters, rabbits, raccoons, possums, musk rats, etc. We run three to four basenjis in this yard. These are younger dogs, stronger lure courser. They have terrorized the critters to the point the critters do not enter the area, those that do end up in the critter cemetery. We do have coyotes which come down from the foothill during the winter, during this period we do not leave our dogs out at night.

Basenjis are very effective hunters, especially as a group. This is a trait I continue to emphases we should not lose in the breed. The most risk is with inexperienced dog, raccoons, possums can inflict serious injuries. Off to the vet again. More often our dogs inflict these injuries to each other by arguing who gets the critter carcass, rabbits or musk rats mainly.

Suggest you keep any solo inexperienced basenji in at night when these critters are most active to avoid the vet bill.

As for the invisible electric fence, I would only use one during periods which I was actually in the yard supervising the dog. I know with our dogs, the shock from the collar would not be enough to deter them from chasing a squirrel. Such a fence does not keep the coyotes or dogs at large out. Suggest you purchase a large kennel with chew proof roof and anti dig barrier about the base for period which you desire to leave him outside alone.

• [QUOTE=Suggest you keep any solo inexperienced basenji in at night when these critters are most active to avoid the vet bill.

As for the invisible electric fence, I would only use one during periods which I was actually in the yard supervising the dog. I know with our dogs, the shock from the collar would not be enough to deter them from chasing a squirrel. Such a fence does not keep the coyotes or dogs at large out. Suggest you purchase a large kennel with chew proof roof and anti dig barrier about the base for period which you desire to leave him outside alone.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Oh my - oh my!! These dogs are fearless - ferocious! So I guess there is no way to control the behavior. I will get a kennel as you outlined for late night/early morning business. The kennel will most likely be handy for other doggy reasons too. Duke just won't be invited out to the fire on those crisp fall evenings - that's it!

Also - we got the invisible fence when Duke was 4 months old - he's now almost 7 months. He's only on 2 out of 10 shock frequencies. He's been remarkably obedient with his boundry. We have alot of squirrels to chase and balls to catch. Whenever they've gone over the line, Duke stops short. (I didn't know Duke was a Basenji when we put in the fence . . . I may not have tried it if I new as much as I do today about him.)

Suggested Topics