2013 WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines for New Puppy Owners

• 2013 World Small Animal Veterinary Association VACCINATION GUIDELINES FOR NEW PUPPY OWNERS http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/New%20Puppy%20Owner%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20May%202013.pdf

" 2. The WSAVA also states that the last puppy vaccine against the core diseases should be given at 14-16 weeks of age. This is because, before this time, the mother passes immunity to her puppies, and this ?maternal immunity? can prevent the vaccine from working.

3. A high percentage (98%) of core puppy vaccines given between 14-16 weeks of age will provide immunity against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus for many years, and probably for the life of the animal .

6. The WSAVA supports the use of titre testing. …."

• Hoping vets acknowledge this and act on it, I think there are a lot of people in the dark regarding vaccines and put all their trust in their vet, I was one of them until I did a lot more research when getting Kaiser and was shocked to find my last dog was receiving vaccines he didn't even need such as lepto and kennel cough(given by a newly trained vet) totally not required as his lifestyle didn't ask for it. Kaiser had his last 3 core vaccine at 13 weeks and a titre at 8 months and he has immunity for the 3 core diseases, so will titre again sometime in the future for safety's sake. Feel guilty for letting my other dog down and mad for being blind. So we now only have the annual checkups sadly the cost is nearly the same as if he would have a booster and checkup. Feel that vets should be trained more in vaccines and raw feeding as they seem to be lacking and negative towards both.

Jolanda and Kaiser

Suggested Topics