Car rides, loose, crate or doggie seatbelt?

• Thanks for the replies…I guess I will look into it a bit more but at least I have a crate I can bring along for now.

Brenda

• If you want Zuri to ride in crate as an adult, you should be crating her on car trips now. I know many people who did not want to crate their puppy on those short car rides as puppies who then had to deal with adult dogs that screamed in the crate because they were not used to it. I crate all of my dogs when they are in the car. I use plastic vari-kennels because those are what fit in my vehicle. I start them as puppies and they all know that if they are going for a ride in the car then they need to hop in their crate. Rally got car sick as a puppy and Sophie has a couple of times but I think she will grow out of it. We give her a round cuddle bed and she seems happy puking onto the bare plastic and staying curled up in her nice puke free cuddle bed.

• I agree, starting young is best. Zuri sleeps in her crate overnight and when we go out she is in her crate so it shouldnt' be too difficult to convince her in the car. I want to invest in a better crate for her in the house anyway so I will keep the other in the car all the time. She starts puppy kindergarten soon so there will be weekly car rides for her….a great opportunity to practice.

Brenda

• @dash:

I have to admit, I don't crate or seat belt Dash. He sits in between the seats, in the back but with his front two feet on the console. Our Beagle usually hides on the floor. She hates the car.

Squiggy surfs also with his feet in the back seat. I know I should at least get a harness. He cant do any kind of crate. He freaks out and explodes out the back end. We have worked on this and I have given up

• …whether a crate or a harness. Just a small to medium sized plastic type works great and they're so cheap. We use budgie straps to secure ours whether in the back seat (strap it around the rear seat head rests or chid seat latches) or in the back of the SUV. For years we never did, but once we had a baby we started to. Last year I signed one of our Bs up for training. Our first class was without the dogs. We were told we MUST transport the dogs to/from class with a crate or harness. I suppose you could have shown up without one, but after hearing facts like "in just a 30mph crash, a 30lb "loose object" will become a projectile with 900lbs of force," everyone had a crate in their car. Like I said, we do crate ours. Our kids don't like to be in their car seats but we want them to be safe. Same is true for our critters.

I found this story from someone online:

_Posted*-04/03/2007😘
    So Sunday afternoon my friend and I were on our way to Charlotte and we happened to watch a car accident. A car hit the cement divider head first then spun and hit tail first then started to spin into traffic. My friend pulled over and I ran back to the car to check on the driver. She was ok and when the other person who stopped opened the back door, there was a tiny dog, in a carrier freaking out. We were on a major highway and the dog was probably a minature pincher. The lady was, ironically enough, on her way home from bringing her BRAND NEW puppy to get its shots. We put the dog in my friends car to keep it safe, then moved it to the drivers friends car when she showed up.

When we got back into my friends car, we both realized how lucky that woman and her dog were. Both were alive and not hurt (although the woman was clearly in shock). Had that little dog not been in its carrier, it would have jumped out of the car as soon as the womans door opened and been killed by oncoming traffic.

We also realized that neither of us uses a carrier anymore because they are such a hassle. It was a very sobering moment.
    _
    How scary would it be to see your B running across the interstate (or worse)? I hate to think of it. These stories are usually hard to read, fortunately this one had a happy ending.

• Scary lets talk about trying to put my B in the darn car seat/harness…What a mess. Anyone have experience with this thing. He ended up pulling it down off himself. He won and he ended up riding in the front with me.

• I concur with CMD…you gotta do something. IMHO I would neve carry a baby in the front seat with me. It's just like human kids...do they like the car seat? No will they cry? Yes So you just let them deal. They will get over it & get used to it. It may be annoying & heartbreaking but it's for their own good.

• How can u keep them down. I really could not keep him strapped in, he wiggled right out of it.

• It's funny how they get that basenji "sardonic grin" right before they puke!

I love it; not only is it amusing to look at, but it gives me time to get the bucket ready! LOL

LuzMery, maybe you're not using the correct size harness? Or not tightening it properly.

• could be. it also took me a long time to figure out the harness. I'll try again, this time with my hubbies assistance. We want him safe.

This weekend my B was doing that sound right before they puke (gave him some rawhide bones) and I carried him to the bathroom and put his head in the toilet thanks to someone else's experience on this forum-sorry forgot who)and my daughter was laughing at me, but hey he threw up in the toilet and hopefully will in the future. I love how human they can be at times….really just like children!

Suggested Topics