Basenji Beagle Mix Male For Adoption 5mo In SW OK.

• Hes one of the puppies from the litter I posted back in January. He came back to me due to the family moving away and not being able to take him. He has not been neutered yet but has had his shots according to the owners. He is housebroken and very well behaved with other dogs, kids, and cats. He plays with my cat Tigger. He was very dirty and covered in fleas when I got him back a week ago. He has since been treated for fleas and has Frontline put on him and he had a much needed Pawdicure and ear cleaning. Also he is being treated for Hotspots due to itching at the fleas on his feet and hip. He's a very sweet boy and would fit well in a family home with kids. He is short legged like a Beagle but has his fathers coloring and his tail curls over his back. He half barks and half Baroos. His birthday is December 30th. He will come with a New leash and Collar, Bowl, partial bag of food, blanket he has claimed as his lol, and any toys I can find. When i got him back he came back with nothing. He sleeps in my laundry room and has no crate. He has a $75 adoption fee for him and all his stuff. He needs a great home soon as 4 dogs is too much for me right now. You can give me a call anytime at 580-483-2714 (texts welcome too)…I want to find this great lil guy a home!
    attachment_t_13519_0_img_20120615_144722.jpg
    attachment_t_13519_1_img_20120615_164653.jpg
    attachment_t_13519_2_img_20120615_164727.jpg

• We read your post and see that you say this dog has had all his shots according to the owners. Have you verified the shots and do you have a written copy from the vet? The reason we ask is given the physical condition and that this dog was returned, you might want to be sure of his shot record and be able to pass that on to any new owner.

• I am sad to hear that he came back to you. Though in the condition that you got him back in I am also glad that he is back and can be adopted out to more respectful people. He is a cutie with his floppy ears. Good luck!

• No I never got a record so what Im going to do is bring him to MY vet and have them done so I have the record of it for the new vet. I dont fully trust what the former owner said to me based off how bad he came back. So he will be going to my personal vet this week for a once over as well as a fecal check since he had so many fleas Im worried about parasites. @TwinDogsDifferentMothers:

We read your post and see that you say this dog has had all his shots according to the owners. Have you verified the shots and do you have a written copy from the vet? The reason we ask is given the physical condition and that this dog was returned, you might want to be sure of his shot record and be able to pass that on to any new owner.

• Yes Krunzer he is VERY cute! You cant tell he is Basenji except the looped over the back tail and colors lol. Oh and he Baroos and sometimes he will bark haha. He's quite the character…kinda makes me wonder if he was abused as he is VERY skittish and if you raise your hand over his head to pet him he kinda flinches. Its quite sad...I cried during the drive home from getting him from them. I met them 30min from my home to get him back. He was SOO dirty and you could SEE the fleas crawling around the white parts of his face and body. He's OVERweight for his body type which tells me they probably free fed him and didnt exercise him any. So he's having reduced portions and daily exercise. With his body type (long body short legs) too much weight can strain his joints and back. Poor lil guy. Hes in a great home now and will be adopted out to a responsible owner now.

• @Anubis's:

No I never got a record so what Im going to do is bring him to MY vet and have them done so I have the record of it for the new vet. I dont fully trust what the former owner said to me based off how bad he came back. So he will be going to my personal vet this week for a once over as well as a fecal check since he had so many fleas Im worried about parasites.

That sounds like a really good idea. We think you are very smart for handling it this way.

• @Anubis's:

Yes Krunzer he is VERY cute! You cant tell he is Basenji except the looped over the back tail and colors lol. Oh and he Baroos and sometimes he will bark haha. He's quite the character…kinda makes me wonder if he was abused as he is VERY skittish and if you raise your hand over his head to pet him he kinda flinches. Its quite sad...I cried during the drive home from getting him from them. I met them 30min from my home to get him back. He was SOO dirty and you could SEE the fleas crawling around the white parts of his face and body. He's OVERweight for his body type which tells me they probably free fed him and didnt exercise him any. So he's having reduced portions and daily exercise. With his body type (long body short legs) too much weight can strain his joints and back. Poor lil guy. Hes in a great home now and will be adopted out to a responsible owner now.

Chances are they were not feeding him good quality food. As you know when a dog is fed cheap food that lacks the nutrients they actually need, they will eat more in an attempt to get them. It is also possible the dog ate out of simple boredom because he was not getting enough attention.

Anyway, we hope you are able to get him healthy again and find him a good forever home.

• Yeah most likely not. My dogs all eat Beneful. They love it and are all good weight.

• Beneful would not be on my list of preferred foods. Corn is the primary ingredient in the dry foods. Wet are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water…..

• Oh yikes really? I think ima switch. Sucks only store that carries what I want to feed my dogs is an hr and a half away. I want to feed Taste of the Wild but I have to drive an hour away to get it.

• @eeeefarm:

Beneful would not be on my list of preferred foods. Corn is the primary ingredient in the dry foods. Wet are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water…..

We think this needs to be corrected. Corn is the primary ingredient in many dry foods. Just because it's canned dog food or wet with meat as the first ingredient does not mean that nutrients, or digestibility is much better. There are wet foods that can be just as full of fillers as many dry dog foods. You have to look at the whole nutritional value including all the contents ( wet or dry) to make a good decision about any dog food.

For example, we choose to feed Red Meat Evo. This is a meat based grain free dog food. From our personal research, Orijen and Fromms also make a good grain free dog food. These foods are either Meat based or Fish Based or both.

Evo is owned by Proctor and Gamble and is made in Nebraska. Orijen is made in Canada. Fromms is family owned and made in the US.

If you have to drive a great distance to get the food you want, with the price of gas it may work out to be less expensive if you order online and have it delivered to your door.

While these foods on the surface are more expensive, the nutrient dense content of the food allows you to feed your dog smaller quantities.

Below is a chart to a comparison of Red Meat Evo Small bites and Purina Beneful Original ( we had no idea what version of Beneful you feed)

http://www.naturapet.com/pet-food-comparison?utf8=%E2%9C%93&natura_product_id=921&competitor_product_id=3271

• @TwinDogsDifferentMothers:

We think this needs to be corrected. Corn is the primary ingredient in many dry foods. Just because it's canned dog food or wet with meat as the first ingredient does not mean that nutrients, or digestibility is much better. There are wet foods that can be just as full of fillers as many dry dog foods. You have to look at the whole nutritional value including all the contents ( wet or dry) to make a good decision about any dog food.

I think this needs to be corrected. Wet food is generally less processed than dry food, and is less prone to being packed with fillers. Of course I am generalizing, but wet food, particularly canned food, will actually sustain life without a premix being added, which dry will not. Unless it's dehydrated. Which is what I use. Forget the fallacious arguments about dry being better for teeth. It isn't. Dry is better for cost and convenience. Period. Full stop. JMHO, but I have researched the subject pretty thoroughly…..

• nm@eeeefarm:

I think this needs to be corrected. Wet food is generally less processed than dry food, and is less prone to being packed with fillers. Of course I am generalizing, but wet food, particularly canned food, will actually sustain life without a premix being added, which dry will not. Unless it's dehydrated. Which is what I use. Forget the fallacious arguments about dry being better for teeth. It isn't. Dry is better for cost and convenience. Period. Full stop. JMHO, but I have researched the subject pretty thoroughly…..

You are correct, you are generalizing. This is your original post "Corn is the primary ingredient in the dry food." As we have pointed out this is totally incorrect. Your second part "Wet are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water….." can be true but is not always the case. There are some very good dry dog foods and some very bad wet dog foods.

The rest of what you have written here was never mentioned in your original response and does not change it.

We have no idea why what is better for teeth was even brought up. It had nothing to do with the original statement you made. We agree that Wet/ Canned are less processed than dry food, but again that was not part of the original statement you made.

While wet food made be less "PRONE" to being packed with fillers, that does not exclude them. Although corn may not be the primary ingredient in a wet food, it does not mean its not included along with other grains and fillers. Since you have researched the subject pretty thoroughly, you should already know this.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to find a new home for this puppy. So if you would like to discuss and debate this in another thread we will be more happy to do so.

The bottom line is that it is great that this puppy is in better care, is getting the medical attention, and fed on a regular basis. Lets hope that a new forever home comes along soon.

• For Anubis- I feed Fromms and use doggiefood.com and the delivery is either free or 4.95$…. I really like their service and they offer some great brands!

• @TwinDogsDifferentMothers:

You are correct, you are generalizing. This is your original post "Corn is the primary ingredient in the dry food." As we have pointed out this is totally incorrect.

Really? Beneful dry ingredients: Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, rice flour, soy flour, meat and bone meal, water, propylene glycol, sugar, soybean oil, animal digest, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried green beans, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), l-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, dL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, red 40, manganese sulfate, yellow 5, yellow 6, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, blue 2, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

@TwinDogsDifferentMothers:

Your second part "Wet are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water….." can be true but is not always the case. There are some very good dry dog foods and some very bad wet dog foods.

Again, I was referring specifically to Beneful. And the remark was accurate.

Water sufficient for processing, chicken, wheat gluten, liver, rice, meat by-products, corn starch-modified, carrots, peas, barley, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, salt, soy flour, potassium chloride, added color, zinc sulfate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, potassium iodide, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin

For the rest, I was contributing some thoughts on food that I agree might be better placed in another thread, which could also apply to your attempt to "educate" me.

• Really? This is pretty simplistic eeeefarms. You never stated you were referring to Beneful only until this last post. Nice try, but you started off with a general statement and now you want to be specific in attempt to save face. Sorry it does not work that way.

We have no interest in educating you. We are more than happy to let someone else bear that cross and responsibility. All you have succeed in doing by your last post is to continue to hijack this thread and push the thread off topic.

Please take it to another thread and lets get back to the health, welfare, and safety of this dog.

• If you reread eeefarms original post ( which you also quoted) you would see the beneful was the specific food of reference not ALL foods, I think you misread therefore you would be wrong. In addition, I don't think it's fair to point fingers about getting off topic when you were the one who had to "set the record straight about the food topic"…you tend to start debates and then use the off thread topic excuse as if it's the other persons fault.

Originally Posted by eeeefarm
    Beneful would not be on my list of preferred foods. Corn is the primary ingredient in THE ( referring to benefits dry food lines) dry foods. WET ( referring to benefuls wet food line) are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water.....

The statement would have read ALL foods not the food if referring more than the topic brand

Perhaps this will read better:
    Beneful would not be on my list of preferred foods BECAUSE Corn is the primary ingredient in the dry foods WHEREAS THE Wet are somewhat better, with actual meat as the first ingredient after water.....

• Thanks, Chealsie508, exactly right, and what was intended. I was referring only to Beneful, because that was the food mentioned by the OP. I made a brief assessment of that food, but the thread got dragged well and truly off topic by a long winded reply disputing my post, which I then replied to so I guess I can share the blame for the thread hijack, but I didn't originate it.

Hope the pup finds a good home with someone who will take proper care of it, including nutritional care. 🙂

• I'm sure he will, following Anibus's posts she has done a lot for the pups and is committed to the right home…I always melt when I see black and whites ( mixes or not)...Ive always wanted a red and white bit having Oakley, I see black and white and I melt!

• @Anubis's:

He's in a great home now and will be adopted out to a responsible owner now.

Anubis's Mommy… you are right about him being in good hands right now: yours!

I admire you for being a responsible "breeder", even though this litter was originally not planned. Despite the dogs being a Mix....
    you aren't treating him like a Mutt that should be banned to the dog shelter.

If this little tyke could talk, I'd bet he'd baroo/howl "THANK YOU!!!!"

🙂 😉 🙂 Hugs and roos-

Suggested Topics