• Also, though Fanconi is easy to verify one way or the other if the dog is health, it is not the only health problem in the breed. The Nocturnal dogs do not have any of the other recommended health testing for the breed, OFA hips, CERF for eyes, or OFA thyroid. If they were tested and had passing results those would show up on the same listing as the Fanconi results.

Pat and I care very much for the breed and have both known dogs who were PRA affected, hip dysplastic, or hypothyroid and all of these disorders effect the dog's quality of life. Some have better treatment options then others but none are curable and all require lifelong management.

• And there are many responsible breeders that you could support then a pure for profit breeder… again I refer to the parent club of the Basenji Club of America and how to find a responsible breeder.

• Thank you very much, I will definitely take your advice into consideration.

• Welcome keep us all up to date on the new puppy. Good luck.

Rita Jean

• bdenault, the advice that Pat and Lisa has sent to you is golden. I don't breed or show. I just do rescue and I deal with folks who have gotten a basenji from "someone" and ended up with a sick dog. I am not saying about this place, but if they don't do the testing Lisa and Pat suggest, you could very well end up with a dog who get sick
    Some bad breeders will say, oh, well, if the dog gets sick, we will give you another one..but its not a sweater you just take back. We all fall in love with these b's.
    These are wonderful dogs, great companion animals and to have one you paid good $$ for die before it should is heartbreak all around.
    I have been there and done that…so please, do take their advice to heart and maybe wait to get a health basenji who will be with you many years.

• Absolutely I agree 110%

• Thanks Sharron… it is always super to receive confirmation on why to go to a responsible breeder, especially from one that is so involved with rescue and does such a great job..and to support responsible breeders

• Thank you Pat. My friend Lisa is going with the Gregory's to Africa and will hopefully be bringing back some b's to add to the lines.
    We live in exciting times!

• @sharronhurlbut:

Thank you Pat. My friend Lisa is going with the Gregory's to Africa and will hopefully be bringing back some b's to add to the lines.
    We live in exciting times!

SORRY to go so far OT here :o…

Sharon, does this mean there is likely to be another group going to Africa to get some more B's, to bring back to America ??? If so, is this likely to be happening this year ??? How excitement 🙂 :D.

• So this thread does not get hijacked, I started a new thread with a link to the webpage with the info on the newest Congo trip.

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?p=102737#post102737

• ⭕o:o Thanks AGAIN Ivoss ⭕o:o…

Suggested Topics