• Hello all,
    Having a hard time training lilu to go outside to go to the bathroom. We will take her out every hour or so. She will pee 2-3 times but then around 5 minutes later she will pee on the floor in my room. Not a little puddle either, like a huge thing, i dont get it. She wont poop in the home at all, but she pees all the time. Everytime she pees inside we take her outside right after. We tell her "potty" when we are outside and no potty when she does it inside. sometimes when i try to tell her no she gets all excited and thinks i want to play. Today was the last straw in letting her up on the bed as she peed on my blankets, etc but i caught it in time and it didn't go through to the mattress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Have you had her checked for UTI? That really plays havic with potty training…

• She had a vet visit yesterday and i told the vet that she pees alot and she took her in the back room to look at her and clean her anal sacs but she said everything was fine

• @Kingsley1230:

She had a vet visit yesterday and i told the vet that she pees alot and she took her in the back room to look at her and clean her anal sacs but she said everything was fine

Unless they take urine for a culture, (which takes 24 hrs) you would not know and also many times an UTI will not even show in the urine test. I think is she were mine, I would ask for a urine culture and possible even antibotics in case it is a UTI.

Of course if this is an ongoing problem then might not have anything to do with health. Has she always done this? Or is this somethink new? How old is she?

• well, she's been going outside more and more now that she is older than when I got her, she is just over 4 months old. The thing is that she drinks sooo sooo soo much water, not sure if its just the toy that she plays with that makes her thirsty or what but she pees like all the time.

• Well, if she is only 4 months, this could be due to starting to losing teeth, I had one of my bitches totally forget what house training was when she was losing her teeth…

I would still have her checked for a UTI... they are fairly common for a puppy

• ya she has started teething really really bad but no teeth lose yet, we keep checking haha

• Gizmo wasn't house trained until around 4 months. I am sure she will understand soon. Puppies will always want to pee/poo in their "den" in the start. It's instinct, so predators don't know they live close by.
    I too was worried he would never understand, but soon enough he learned.

They do have a natural instinct to not do their business where they sleep. Do you have a crate? You could try putting her in it more often.

• I agree with Pat, I would make sure they checked for a UTI. If she is peeing outside then coming in and peeing a copious amount that sounds like a UTI. Drinking more water than usual sounds like a UTI also.

Just last week TC was having accidents in the house and just plain peeing mroe than normal. My mom took her in to the vet and they said since her temp was normal it was highly unlikely she had a UTI. My mom said, "I don't care, test her anyway." She had a mid-grade infection which surprised the vet. She is doing much better now that she has been on antibiotics.

• You know what I might just bring her back to the vet to make sure everything is ok. She never ever pees or poops in her cage but she will let us know when she has to go, but when she is out of the cage during the day she will pee just about anywhere regardless if i just took her outside.

Everytime we have visited the Vet, she has had a slight temp, 102.6 and the vet said that 102.4-102.5 is usually normal. Would .1 degree really make that much of a difference in a dog?

• The only thing is that Lilu is so young you don't really know what is normal for her. My basenjis tend to run cooler than other dogs so they are normally 101.x so for them 102 would be a hot. If she is for sure peeing outside and then coming in and almost immediately peeing again, that would make me think UTI. If you are not sure if she is peeing outside then you need to make sure you are out there with her and praising every time she does pee outside.

• I can always tell when she pees outside because the snow is yellow and melts lol i can hear it and she's never really gone outside and not went to the bathroom, even we just go outside to play. She was just on Antibiotics a few weeks ago for a skin infection/irritation that was getting bad but that is all cleared up and has been for a while, she was on the antibiotics for about 3 weeks, the vet said she wanted me to finish it

• Since different bacteria are susceptible to different antibiotics being on antibiotics doesn't rule out an infection. If she is peeing outside and then coming in and peeing again, that is not usual especially for young dogs who normally empty their bladders when they pee.

• I agree that you should have her checked for a UTI - especially where she is drinking a lot on top of the peeing.

If there isn't anything medically wrong after you have her checked, could it maybe be that she just isn't emptying out all the way when she goes. I know when my pup was little, she would be so excited to play with the big dogs or get distracted by noises in the woods that she would squat, go, but stop mid stream. I thought she had finished, but she'd come inside and go. Once I watched her more closely, I could tell that she was doing that and would stay out longer and sure enough she would go again. Once she went the 2nd time, I knew it was safe to bring her in.

• On the topic of pee, I have a question/issue.

I have noticed Gizmo seems to quite often have a drop hanging on his penis a lot of the time. Also it's sometimes white, almost as if it's sperm.
    Now the first thing I thought of was your typical puberty signs, wetdreams etc. since his blanket also has quite a few drops stains on it.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried/aware about something else?

• @NerdyDogOwner:

On the topic of pee, I have a question/issue.

I have noticed Gizmo seems to quite often have a drop hanging on his penis a lot of the time. Also it's sometimes white, almost as if it's sperm.
    Now the first thing I thought of was your typical puberty signs, wetdreams etc. since his blanket also has quite a few drops stains on it.

It is Normal

• @NerdyDogOwner:

On the topic of pee, I have a question/issue.

Possibly just sloughed skin cells.

Suggested Topics