• Just wondering if anyone uses a dog door or since I am sure some of you do rather if you could point me in the right direction. My Basenji is just 12 weeks old; I want to get a door she will be able to use for the next few years so how big of a door should I get? The one for medium dogs has an opening that is 11 1/2 by 7". It says it is for a medium dog but the opening seems small. Will this be big enough for her in the long run?

• That's what we have and it is priceless. We have that size and it is perfect for both my B and beagle. We have the one that is part of your sliding glass door. We had to put a heavy curtain over the door to try and keep from it getting to cold in this winter but it is still worth it.

• Mine dog door is larger, probably 10-12 wide and at least 16 inches tall. Mine can go in and out at great speed, but no matter how they push and shove only one at a time can go through it. My dogs are mature, not escapers so they have full indoor and outdoor access 24/7.

• Something to keep in mind about dog doors is that not just the dog may use it. An incredibly stupid squirrell came into my mom's house through the dog door. It didn't live long, the basenjis dispatched it in the house.

• Mine is 11x8 and the dogs do just fine. Kate uses it like duck blind for squirrel hunting (I guess that would make it a squirrel blind). She sits watching for long periods of time until she has one close enough, or a gathering large enough to scatter, then pops through at a full run.

I've never had a critter voluntarily enter through the pet door, but I've had Kate bring in her catch of the day 4 times.

• is a dog door, of course if you have some kind of fencing. I have underground fencing, which I love, and Sahara does fine with it. My biggest laugh is when she puts the front half of her body out and looks out to see what is going on, and the rearend is in the house. It is so cute, I just love that curley tail.

• @lvoss:

Something to keep in mind about dog doors is that not just the dog may use it. An incredibly stupid squirrell came into my mom's house through the dog door. It didn't live long, the basenjis dispatched it in the house.

LOL! That is too funny!

• Strangest dog door experience for us: many years ago we had 5 basenjis. We were in the living room one rainy night and heard kibble crunching in the kitchen. We looked around and had all 5 dogs with us so I got up to see what was going on. A wet cat was eating kibble at the dog bowl, and before I could panic/figure out what to do, all the dogs ran in there and….nothing! They just looked at the cat and went back into the living room. These same dogs would have jerked my arm off if that cat had crossed the road near us on a walk, but on a cold rainy night, they called a truce and let it eat in peace. A bit later the rain stopped and the cat went back out.

• Now that is compassion. I have only had my B for three weeks but what a character.

Suggested Topics