Skip to content

basenjis housebreaking bea rafiki and dixie basenjis

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Hunting with Basenji

    Basenji Training
    28
    2 Votes
    28 Posts
    24k Views
    RogueCoyoteR
    i bet that when rogues adult teeth come in she will be able to do the egg test though. she has a very soft touch when she wants to.
  • Training basenjis

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    NemoN
    Arlo does "downs" like Zoni (Aries' niece :)) does….with extreme enthusiasm by slamming her paws to the ground. Love it.
  • The Dancing Basenji

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    L
    Love it. I had seen the golden video a couple years ago and though. well of course a golden would be willing to learn that. Amazing that a Basenji actually decided it was worth while to learn that :)
  • How can i housebreak my basenji

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    M
    I got my pup when he was 7 months and he was sort of house broken. When I took him to the vet I found out that part of his house breaking issues was that he had a bladder infection. If you continually have problems house breaking (like very frequent urination or peeing in the crate) you may want to have your vet test for a bladder infection just to make sure. Another problem I discovered was that he didn't know how to tell me he had to pee. I hung bells on the door and by having him ring them every time we went out I taught him to tell me when has to pee. It has been great. Some times he rings them just to go out and play, but mostly he rings them when he really has to go out. Now the only "accidents" he's had is when I ignore the bells b/c I am busy. (he literally peed all over the living room the other night because I ignored him) One other suggestion, make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on any "accident" spots. These really eat away the reminants of the feces/pee so that your b will not recognize the area as an ok place to go to the bathroom Other helpful tips I got was to be sure you use the same door when you take your b out and take it to the same part of the yard. Give your b LOTS of praise for going outside (and a treat if it is food motivated).
  • Are Basenjis Sighthounds?

    Basenji Training
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    15k Views
    J
    I would LOVE to involve my B with Lure Coursing. She is a mix, so she could only run in practices, but that's fine with me. I just know she would love it… and I would appreciate her getting the exercise. Unfortunately the closest group that participates in lure coursing is approximately 2 hours away from me. If anyone knows of a group that participates in lure coursing in the knoxville, tn area, please post or send me a private message. THANKS!
  • Basenji Hiking?

    Basenji Training
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    17k Views
    nobarkusN
    I've hiked off leash at numerous areas here in the SF Bay area. They love it! Any there was only 1 area that was a problem with ticks. To me after 30 years hiking with them it's the best way to establish a great relationship with them. There's no two ways about it, Basenjis love hiking adventures.