Skip to content

Why is my 8 month old digging?

Behavioral Issues
  • Hi all. We recently adopted an 8 month old Basenji from a shelter. We brought him home a few days ago and he's lovely. But whenever we leave him alone outside, he digs. When we see him and come outside to tell him to stop, he'll run away and dig somewhere else. He's already dug a hole under our fence to get to our neighbor's yard, and they have a husky, which worries me. I don't want him to get hurt and I don't want him digging up our yard. We've already tried cutting access to the areas he likes to dig, but he finds new ones.

    We feed him, give him fresh water, play with him, but he still digs. Is it a showing of disrespect? Is it boredom? What can I do?

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    20 Posts
    7k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I am not up to date on current rabies vaccines for dogs, but I know that in the past there was more than one formulation, as my next door neighbour's dog had an anaphylactic reaction when vaccinated and the vet made a note to use a different formulation for the next annual shot. In future the dog had no difficulties. There are known side effects to most vaccines. Aggression is not one I am familiar with, however, with rabies vaccination in countries that require it there isn't much choice. It would not be my first thought with an 18 month old dog showing aggression. Especially a Basenji objecting to being moved from a comfortable place.
  • 6 months old - jumping on furniture, agitated at 3 am

    Behavioral Issues
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    7k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh NO! I am sorry about your wedding ring, but it sounds like things are improving. That's pretty high for a crate, but we paid about $150 for the airline crates to move here (I use wire crates at home).. so they'll just be stored or sold.
  • Basenji meets Two year old

    Behavioral Issues
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    No one has replied
  • Digging

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    P
    Yes, like humans older dogs can go a bit senile but there is no need to woryy - take her to the vet and he should be able to help her. Jewel (my senior) isn't quite as bad as that but she does get a bit muddled - she'll go to her water bowl and stand by it wondering why she went there. Occasionally when she's outside she'll do much the same forgetting and I have to go get her and remind her what she was going to do in the first place.
  • 8 month old is biting…can't get him under control

    Behavioral Issues
    81
    0 Votes
    81 Posts
    57k Views
    Patty MP
    I'm a cheerleader for you and Tango! Please let us know what is going on, and remember, that we all have wonderful basenjis on our laps… I'm getting ready to go to bed, but here is my girl, all cuddled up in a cat-like curl, waiting for me to carry her to bed... and we live in FLORIDA? Too cute. :) Thank you for believing in Tango. He is new to this thing called life, and at the end of the day, all he wants to do is please you. I sincerely believe that basenjis are sensitive to our moods, and when they get scared/tense/mad and react, and then WE react... they react back. I'm so grateful that you didn't toss Tango into the basenji orphanage... I believe that he will be come the most loyal B there ever is! :)
  • Agression towards my 3 year old

    Behavioral Issues
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    14k Views
    J
    It's scary with a toddler in the house. Even though Willie has gotten soooo much better, when I recently had little children in the house for a short visit, I kept him on a leash. You just can't watch them 100 percent of the time. Here's hoping the best for Buster.