Skip to content

Ian, New to Basenji Forums

Member Introductions
  • Hi, I'm Sam. My wife and I adopted Ian from the Norfolk, Virginia SCPA about 3 months ago. He was transferred from Baton Rouge where he was slated to be euthanized. We can't imagine that fate for this sweet, adorable puppy. Ian is, we think, a Basenji mix. Mixed with what we don't know. He is 8 1/2 months old now (he's a Christmas baby, or pretty close to being one). Ian is easy going, very friendly, and is extremely curious (about everything!). He easily passed a 6-week Puppy Training course. He is trainable, but becomes distracted easily when things are happening around him. The folks at the SCPA thought he was perhaps a pure Basenji, the barkless dog, since he never made a sound while he was there. However, he has found his voice. Even though he's quiet most of the time, he does bark, growl, and howl at times. The SCPA folks listed Ian as a "Hound Mix", which we're certain he is, but not 100% Basenji. Ian has very distinctive, equal markings on both sides, except for a white right front paw. He is constantly trying to dominate us in various ways, so we have to be on our toes all the time. Everyone who meets Ian falls in love with this happy, handsome boy.
    attachment_t_14006_0_ian_1a.jpg

Suggested Topics

  • New member, new basenji owner as of yesterday!

    Member Introductions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    16k Views
    lvossL
    Most people incorrectly use the terms dominant and dominance with regard to dogs. Here is a good blog post by Dr. Sophia Yin on the topic. http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/dominance_in_dogs_is_not_a_personality_trait
  • New to Forum/New to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    MacPackM
    Welcome and congratulations! I have two BRATS myself, and a third basenji as well. So beware, they ARE like potato chips (You can't have just one) I love her name, she is gorgeous. Can't wait to hear all about her Homecoming!
  • New Member, New to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    11k Views
    P
    @lra: Is this the Helena that is getting Cassie? Yes that's me and Benkura is Victoria. We are getting more and more excited as the time moves on.
  • New to Basenji Forum

    Member Introductions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    hdolbowH
    oh my god. lol who knew.
  • New to Forum

    Member Introductions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    nala121498N
    Welcome, Andyboy! I too had see the movie and loved it as a kid. I haven't seen it in years so I don't remember it. I have the book though and plan to read it with my daughter this summer. The movie introduced me to the breed, but it was ultimately allergies that led me to own one, much like JazzysMom. Enjoy the forum…I know I do. Post more pictures when you can!
  • New to the forum

    Member Introductions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    nala121498N
    Welcome! This is a great place for all to share about this wonderful breed! Lots of luck on the show circuit, but it doesn't seem like you need it!