• Roo had his first ever lure coursing experience this weekend. The Basenji Club of Southern Wisconsin had their event in Belvidere IL. There were Irish Wolfhounds, Whippets, Italian Greyhounds, Cirneco D'Ettas, (sp?) Afghans, Borzois, Basenjis (of course!) and a few others too. Jason took over 1000 photos!!!

A good time was had by all. Here is a pic of Roo's first ever run, fully contracted, going for the bunny. Click on it to make it bigger!

Thanks to the BCOSW for putting on such a fine event in spite of the beastly heat!

Randa
    attachment_t_6448_0_roocoursing.jpg

• That's great! How old is Roo?

• Sounds like you had fun. I love the big grins on the dogs' faces when they run. You have no doubt that they love it.

• Roo is 1 year and 4 months. And lvoss, yes, it looks like they are having such a good time, Esp the Irish Wolfhounds, they have this big goofy looking grin on, so cute!

Jason and I both got sunburned, but we did have a lot of fun. There was so much waiting though. Good lunch both days though, and the nicest people!

This weekend, Agility competition in Decatur, IL!

Three weekends, three different dog events, we're addicted.

Randa

• Since you are the second person this week to mention getting sunburned at a lure event, my doctor recommended looking for sunscreen products with titanium dioxide. I have been using BullFrog and though it is thick and hard to rub in, it has been effective.

• Bullfrog makes a mist product that might be easier to apply. I do not know what the active ingredient is though.

I hate sunscreen, it almost always makes me break out for some reason, even though all of them swear they are non-comedogenic. Jason tans so easily, and so rarely burns I didn't even think about it much. I did stay in the shade as much as possible, and didn't get badly burned, just a smidge on my forehead, but it might be time for us both to consider wearing hats and putting on some form of sun block<sigh>

Randa</sigh>

• I should have known better. Even my hair hurts but we had a lot of fun. I have a lot of pictures to edit and post for the participants and this weekend there is an agility event pretty close to us but thank god its indoors and air conditioned.

I would encourage anyone with or without a Basenji to attend these events. The people are very friendly and watching the dogs perform is fun.

Jason

• Here are a few more pics from the event. Not Basenjis, but fun pics

Afghans! Nope, not Afghans, Borzois! (Thanks Janneke!)

A wonderful Irish Wolfhound! Just look at that release!

Jason will be mad, but I am not including the pic of me holding Roo.

Randa
    attachment_p_77108_0_irish.jpg
    attachment_p_77108_1_afghans.jpg

• I think the afghans are borzois, but the pics are great!!!

• Oooops, sorry bout that, you're right they are Borzoi's. I will edit right away!

I didn't look closely enough at the pics before I posted them!

Randa

• @ComicDom1:

Oooops, sorry bout that, you're right they are Borzoi's. I will edit right away!

I didn't look closely enough at the pics before I posted them!

Randa

That's ok 😉 I won't tell anyone 😉 😃

Edit: here a nice Afghan lure coursing..

And Jason, you're so right! It's a lot of fun watching these dogs 'hunt' and the people are very nice too! Very different than the show people….. 😉

• Here's the one of me trying to hold little Roo….Jason is badgering me to put it in too! I look pretty bad though, it's hot and he's been scratching my legs apart to go 'visit' with all the pretty dogs that go by.

Randa
    attachment_p_77131_0_meandroo.jpg

• @ComicDom1:

Here's the one of me trying to hold little Roo….Jason is badgering me to put it in too! I look pretty bad though, it's hot and he's been scratching my legs apart to go 'visit' with all the pretty dogs that go by.

Randa

Lovely pic! Nothing to be ashamed of!

• how can you tell what it is with all this hair?

attachment_p_77138_0_crazy-dog.jpg

• The real Afghans

attachment_p_77140_0_afghan2.jpg
    attachment_p_77140_1_afghan.jpg

• @EskiLovr:

how can you tell what it is with all this hair?

Haha.. if they are running you can guess where the head must be.. 😉 😃

• @Janneke:

That's ok 😉 I won't tell anyone 😉 😃

Edit: here a nice Afghan lure coursing..

And Jason, you're so right! It's a lot of fun watching these dogs 'hunt' and the people are very nice too! Very different than the show people….. 😉

Well here is the Ironic thing. Many of the people at coursing were the same people at the show and to be honest in our area I could not tell any difference. Everyone was very friendly and very interested in getting to know others. Maybe its because I have snow on the roof! Of course do not forget I do have testosterone poisoning.

Jason

• I agree… most of the people we course with are the same people that we show with... since with Basenjis we don't have to worry about their coats, many of us course and show at the same time.

• Roo looks so cute. He looks like he loved it. I'm sorry that I missed seeing him run. I was getting Katie water, and wetting her down after her run.

There were a lot of the same people. We only made it Saturday, but we had so much fun. Everyone we have met, both at the show last weekend, and at the coursing were so nice! I felt very welcome, even without a sighthound with me.

Did Jason get any pics of Katie? We would love to look into buying some prints if that is possible.

-Nicole

• @nkjvcjs:

Roo looks so cute. He looks like he loved it. I'm sorry that I missed seeing him run. I was getting Katie water, and wetting her down after her run.

There were a lot of the same people. We only made it Saturday, but we had so much fun. Everyone we have met, both at the show last weekend, and at the coursing were so nice! I felt very welcome, even without a sighthound with me.

Did Jason get any pics of Katie? We would love to look into buying some prints if that is possible.

-Nicole

Nicole,

Jason says he got some pics of Katie. He shot well over 1000 images over the weekend so it is taking some time to get through them and edit them. He just picked a few to work up that we posted here. I told him he needs to work on some BASENJIS, duh, and he will be sure to include Katie when he gets to working them up. We will keep you posted.

On a different note, everyone who saw Roo said he ran really well for his first time. He stayed with the bunny through the whole first loop, and started into the second part of the course when he got distracted by a pulley. I guess that is really common, from what people said. I had no trouble getting him back, which I was really worried about, I called him and he came right over and let me grab him! I had visions of Jason and I chasing him all over the field, but he was a good boy.

He looked like he was having a blast running it, and I know we enjoyed watching. It was good to see you again, and to see Katie in her joyful place.

Randa

Suggested Topics